Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 2 of 3: Posts 21 - 40 of 47
prev
1 2 3
next

. 2007/8/25 05:37
There are currency exchange counters, post offices, and ATMs at Narita Airport. If I had cash to exchange I just go to the currency exchange booth, instead of the post office (which is located a floor up, or on the departures level of Narita Airport (Terminal 1, not sure about terminal 2), so you have to go out of your way a bit to get to it.
by John rate this post as useful

banks in U.S. 2007/8/25 09:39
Iza, just curious, but have you actually changed money at a bank in the U.S.?

I tried to change money at a bank in Kansas once and was told it would take two weeks, and they couldn't tell me what the exchange rate would be, because it would depend on what it was on the day that whoever they sent it to actually changed the money. I asked for the rate they would use that day, and it was a terrible rate. This was changing yen into dollars, so it might be different from dollars to yen.

I'm guessing that Georgia might not be all that much different than Georgia, so I agree that it would be better to do it here in Japan.
by M rate this post as useful

... 2007/8/25 12:23
by Uji rate this post as useful

post office 2007/9/20 23:07
I read one can exchange currency at the Post Office. Is this service available on weekends as well?
by Lesha rate this post as useful

. 2007/9/21 06:00
Lesha, I don't think the service counters in the Post Offices are open on weekends and holidays.

The ATM machines should be available.
by abc rate this post as useful

Just go to Japan 2007/9/21 11:00
Yeah, Iza, that's a pretty cracked out answer. Twice, I've tried going to a U.S. bank and they either said it would take some time to ORDER the money and never gave the exchange rate. I personally always exchange a little at the airport to just have some spending cash and get the rest through Citibank ATMs. If you don't have a Citibank account, I would highly recommend opening up one just to have the convenience of being able to pull money out of their ATM's here in Japan. There are no other U.S. banks here to my knowledge.
by Hail no rate this post as useful

Exchanging coins 2007/9/24 10:25
I recently returned to Tokyo from a trip to France. When I exchanged my euros for yen at the Narita airport, the officials at the exchange booth told me they do not exchange coins.

Is there anyplace that does exchange coins in Tokyo. It's only about 6 euros in various coin denominations (2 euros, 50 cent, 10 cent, etc.). I know it's not a lot of money, but I'm a pretty cheap person, I don't have any money as it is, so every yen really counts.
by Bob rate this post as useful

Other Currencies 2007/9/24 10:40
Let me repeat, that unless you have USD, you are better off exchanging just about every OTHER currency outside of Japan!!!

The rates for USD are good in Japan, but bad for most others, including GBP, EUR, AUD, etc.
by Sandy rate this post as useful

. 2007/12/31 02:36
Hi all, i was wondering if post office atms do not charge conversion fees... then your bank that your keycard is with can only charge you an overseas terminal withdrawal fee?
by Olin rate this post as useful

HI 2007/12/31 07:52
If you're willing to become a Hostel International member ($30 for the year), you get a bunch of perks, including free currency exchange. They will exchange nearly any currency into nearly any other currency and do it without any fees. $500 USD translates directly into the Yen equivalent. You do it online with a check, credit card, anything. They mail you the currency next business day. Very fast and easy. Since there are other perks with HI membership (free insurance while traveling including heath, cheap world wide prepaid cell phones, etc) it's well worth the price.
by Me rate this post as useful

Forgot to add 2007/12/31 07:54
that you don't have to stay at a hostel ever or anything like that. Just saying, because some people think getting the membership requires them to stay at hostels.
by Me rate this post as useful

... 2007/12/31 17:02
i was wondering if post office atms do not charge conversion fees... then your bank that your keycard is with can only charge you an overseas terminal withdrawal fee?

That's right. Depending on the bank, it can be fixed or a percentage of the amount withdrawn. And if you use a credit card, you may also have to pay some interests.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Money 2008/1/12 22:26
Hello!
Whot is better who take when we go to Japan - USD or EUR?
by Ilona rate this post as useful

USD or Euro 2008/1/14 01:04
Hi llona

Sandy says above the USD has the best exchange rate but it depends where you are going from, Do you want to change your money twice??

Take your local currency.
by marsatmach rate this post as useful

Exchange 2008/1/15 02:58
If you're taking USD into Japan, I found the best rate to be Chiba Bank (Chiba-gin) right outside international arrival area (across from the other information counters).

I don't know if it makes a difference either but I could have sworn that you get a couple extra yen for exchanging Travellers Cheques rather than hard cash. I need to get that confirmed though.
by DanY rate this post as useful

... 2008/1/15 09:40
The rate at the exchange booths at the airport aren't bad, but they aren't really good either. You are paying for convenience.

You are more likely to find better rates by withdrawing at postal atms from foreign bank accounts though.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Step by step 2008/2/18 16:11
What is the process of exchanging currency at the Post office? For example I will be going to U.S.A. and I don't speak Japanese.
How can I be better prepare when going to exchange currency at the Post Office?
Thank you
by In rate this post as useful

California Bank & Trust 2008/6/19 14:33
They have Yens on hands (the only foreign currency in fact). And the rate is a little better than Travelex
by stranger rate this post as useful

Change JPYen to USD in the US? 2009/5/9 10:55
Hi, Does anyone know where is the best place to change Yen back to USD in the US? The exchange rate online is 1 yen = .010 USD. At Bank of America the exchange rate is 1 Yen = 0.009569 USD. Is this the best I can do? Thank you for your feedback!
by kat parsons (guest) rate this post as useful

$$$$ 2009/5/9 16:26
Don't you guys have Bureau de Change in major US cities? they are private companies and give fairly good rates. I get about 20 000 yen at home from one of them then, in Japan, use an ATM in one of the numerous 7-11 whenever I need it. I pay hotels with a credit card.
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 2 of 3: Posts 21 - 40 of 47
prev
1 2 3
next

reply to this thread