Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Vaccination Japanese Encefalitis 2013/2/17 01:53
Hi.
I am having a hard time deciding if I should or not should vaccinate for Japanese Encefalitis when going to Japan in May.

I have Hep A + B since I work with health care handling syringes and such sharp things. They recommend me getting a vaccine for Japanese encefalitis because I will be gone for more than three weeks but I am not sure.

I will be there from May to mid-June travelling across the country (Fukuoka - Okayama - Osaka - Sapporo - Tokyo). It is not that I will visit or live at any farm or camping in a forest. I will live in hotels in cities. However I will do daytrips that might be to rural areas like the national parks in Hokkaido, mountainareas in Kyushu and Japanese alps etc, Kagoshima. Could be there all day long but it is not that I will do serious hiking or pilgrimage hiking etc.

I know there are some serious sideeffects on the vaccine, not sure if they are permanent or just disappears after a few days, but I suppose it is better to start with this as soon as possible because I want to be rid of these side effects by the traveldate in may.
The nurse at the reception said it might come a mosquito and bite me who have bitten an infected pig etc.
by SweGuy (guest)  

Re: Vaccination Japanese Encefalitis 2013/2/17 17:07
Don't bother. When I moved to Japan I was told I didn't need it. I lived in a mixed urban/rural area (with a few pig farms) and no one ever suggested I get vaccinated in 4 years. In several visits to the travel medical clinic since then I was always told I didn't need it even though I would be bike touring through rural areas.

If you were actually living/employed/researching on a pig farm then you should get it. Otherwise skip it.
by katakanadian rate this post as useful

Re: Vaccination Japanese Encefalitis 2013/2/17 20:05
Even hiking in deep rural forests could not be a threat? I never recall seeing any mosquitoes in my past trip to Japan (though it was in july).
by SweGuy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Vaccination Japanese Encefalitis 2013/2/17 21:20
I wouldn't worry. While children here are routinely vaccinated against J encephalitis, none of the foreigners I know who live here (me included) have been vaccinated, and in 15 years in Japan I have never heard of anyone I know catching it.

Mosquitoes are a plague here in west Tokyo where I live, you can't go outside in summer without being bitten, and they are found pretty much everywhere in Japan. Even so, I agree with katakanadian- unless you plan to spend a lot of time on pig farms I wouldn't bother with the vax.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Vaccination Japanese Encefalitis 2013/2/17 22:52
You mean they appear in the sun too? I know the hassle with mosquitoes, I live in a town close to a marshland (sorry for spelling). Last two summers it was invasion if em. Couldnt be outside. And there were this aggressive sort being out at day and in the sun. Lovely little creatures.

So it would be best to bring anti mosquito spray to put on the body then? Think it would be okay to bring it into Japan? Dont think it contains any suspicious things.
by Sweguy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Vaccination Japanese Encefalitis 2013/2/21 07:07
I think you should buy spray in Japan, so you can be sure that it is effective against Japanese mosquitos :). I wouldn't pack aerosol products for a plane trip.
by ChicagoMike rate this post as useful

Re: Vaccination Japanese Encefalitis 2013/2/21 11:26
They recommend me getting a vaccine for Japanese encefalitis because I will be gone for more than three weeks but I am not sure.

Its really only recommended if you will be spending more than a month in higher risk areas (rural and subtropical parts of Japan). You'll mostly be in urban areas so there is a very low risk of exposure.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5901a1.htm

Even hiking in deep rural forests could not be a threat?

You probably have an even lower chance of exposure in deep rural forests.

I never recall seeing any mosquitoes in my past trip to Japan (though it was in july).

We see lots and lots of mosquitoes in summer, but don't worry about it too much. Pick up a can of bug spray at the convenience store and you'll be fine.

Btw, I've had the vaccine and didn't notice any adverse side effects. I haven't had the boosters however, and I don't plan on getting them.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Vaccination Japanese Encefalitis 2013/2/21 14:15
Thanks for the replies!

The "bug spray" we have here is acually a roll on type you put on ankels, neck, feet or any part where they might sneak in and bite. Not sure how the bug spray works though since I have never seen any here.

So if I were to visit Okinawa (not likely that time of the year) or rural parts of Kyushu or Yakushima-like places it would most likely not pose a threat?

Any other precautions you could recommend? They say wearing long pants and shirts would do good but it is rather hot outside I assume.

Re: Vaccination Japanese Encefalitis 2013/2/21 16:38
No matter what precautions I take, I always get bitten. I considered the vaccination, but in the end decided the risk didn't justify the price. First off, even if you do contract it, the likelihood of showing serious symptoms--or any symptoms at all--is fairly low. Second, there is a chance I've already contracted it before and gained immunity!
by Buri0110 rate this post as useful

Re: Vaccination Japanese Encefalitis 2013/2/21 20:13
Sorry if I am confused, guess I havn't had my cup of coffee yet, but you mean I should or should not take the vaccine? Should I still consider being precautions with bug spray/roll-on? I seem to have blood that is very popular among mosquitoes since I get bitten every year by just putting out my hand in the summer..

Re: Vaccination Japanese Encefalitis 2013/2/21 23:38
If you are doing serious hiking, I would strongly recommend protective clothing, but it's not only for bugs but for poisonous and thorny plants. In the open, the issue to me is more sun exposure. I don't know if I've seen a farmer anywhere in the world wearing shorts and a t-shirt. Definitely wear a hat, but after that you have to judge the comfort issue for yourself. Carry repellent just in case, but the mosquitos likely won't be bad in the daytime.
by ChicagoMike rate this post as useful

Re: Vaccination Japanese Encefalitis 2013/2/22 12:55
The "bug spray" we have here is acually a roll on type you put on ankels, neck, feet or any part where they might sneak in and bite. Not sure how the bug spray works though since I have never seen any here.

You spray it on exposed skin, and on your clothes if you like. You have to reapply every so often. There are lotion types and combination sunscreen/bug repellent available as well.

So if I were to visit Okinawa (not likely that time of the year) or rural parts of Kyushu or Yakushima-like places it would most likely not pose a threat?

The chances are extremely low. That CDC report mentions something like 4 confirmed cases among travellers since vaccines were introduced.

Any other precautions you could recommend? They say wearing long pants and shirts would do good but it is rather hot outside I assume.

May/June is probably way too hot for long sleeves/pants. Bug repellent will probably be fine. If you are that concerned then it may be worth getting the vaccine just for your peace of mind.

If you are doing serious hiking, I would strongly recommend protective clothing, but it's not only for bugs but for poisonous and thorny plants. In the open, the issue to me is more sun exposure.

Japan doesn't really have any poisonous plants that you need to watch out for. There are leeches and ticks though especially on the more overgrown trails. Definitely agree about the sun exposure part. Probably far more dangerous.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Vaccination Japanese Encefalitis 2013/2/25 04:21
Well I am still kinda clueless wether I should take or not take it...

Re: Vaccination Japanese Encefalitis 2013/2/25 05:17
Well I am still kinda clueless wether I should take or not take it...

I will get vaccinated (Ixiaro). My 3 month bicycle trip will take me across Japan (mainly through rural areas), with lots of camping, hiking and other outdoor activities carried out on a daily basis. I've seen what the European version can do - and I am not taking any chances. The vaccine (2 shots) will cost me around $140. That comes at $1.55 per day and that's peanuts for my health protection and peace of mind. :-)
by SEA monster rate this post as useful

Re: Vaccination Japanese Encefalitis 2013/2/25 06:43
My doctor told me not to bother unless your going in Summer.
by Shandii rate this post as useful

Re: Vaccination Japanese Encefalitis 2013/2/25 13:52
Well I am going in summer (mat-june), I might visit rural areas (no camping or serious hiking) like around Kagoshima, Hokkaido, Osaka, etc. The doctor's recommend to take it if travelling in april to octobre, and if visiting farms and if staying more than three weeks.

I could get it for peace of mind but I am rather worried about side effects, especially if they are permanent or are still there at the day of flying there. This might be a rumor or from an older vaccine but I heard the vaccine can acually give encefalitis as a permanent side effect.

Re: Vaccination Japanese Encefalitis 2013/2/25 19:10
You should consider this http://sideeffectsz.com/ixiaro-side-effects/

by SEA monster rate this post as useful

reply to this thread