Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Izu Peninsula Trip from Tokyo 2013/2/18 04:31
I'm travelling to Tokyo next week, and while I'm there, a friend and I are planning to make an overnight trip down to the Izu Peninsula. We're planning on visiting Kawazu, Shimoda, the Seven Waterfalls - and maybe walking a little of the Jogosaki Coast.

I've read the section on the area here and a few trip reports elsewhere, but there are a couple of questions I'd like to hear the benefit of experience about.

First - I found an old reply on the forum from Uji which said the first week of March is a great time to see the the early blooming cherry trees in Kawazu. Is there any particular location in or near the town which is best recommended to see the blossoms?

Secondly, since I plan to make the trip just before I leave, would the Kanto Pass be a good choice (I can use the third day of the pass on the NEX to Narita airport). If I use the Kanto Pass, are there any restrictions on which (non-shinkansen) trains I can catch to Izu from Shinjuku station, or between Ito and Shimoda?

Lastly, is it possible to use the PASMO/SUICA card on the buses on on Izu?

Thank you!
by UK Traveller (guest)  

Re: Izu Peninsula Trip from Tokyo 2013/2/18 10:22
First - I found an old reply on the forum from Uji which said the first week of March is a great time to see the the early blooming cherry trees in Kawazu. Is there any particular location in or near the town which is best recommended to see the blossoms?

The trees can be found in many locations around the town of Kawazu, but the area around the station and nearby river has the most trees:
http://www.kawazuzakura.net/html/kaikainfo.html

Secondly, since I plan to make the trip just before I leave, would the Kanto Pass be a good choice (I can use the third day of the pass on the NEX to Narita airport).

Yes, sounds like a good option.

If I use the Kanto Pass, are there any restrictions on which (non-shinkansen) trains I can catch to Izu from Shinjuku station, or between Ito and Shimoda?

Yes, you cannot use the Tokaido Shinkansen. But you can use the convenient, direct Odoriko limited express trains.

Lastly, is it possible to use the PASMO/SUICA card on the buses on on Izu?

No.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Izu Peninsula Trip from Tokyo 2013/2/18 12:00
Thank you, as always, Uji.

I'll bookmark the Kawazu info and definitely pick up a Kanto Pass at Narita when I land.

I figured it was probably too far from Tokyo for use of SUICA or PASMO, but that's okay - it means I won't have to charge my card up at the end of the holiday, and that's a good thing.

by UK Traveller (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread