Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tokyo Skytree in Mid-April? Midweek? 2013/2/19 17:22
I've read last month from the forums that the Tokyo Skytree is still doing well (and busy).

I'm going to travel to Japan (once again :) in April, and I'd like to go to the Skytree just before dusk and evening. I'm looking at a Monday or Tuesday early evening in mid April (the 15th or 16th).

I plan to be in Tokyo for several days, then off to other areas via JR Pass, then back to Tokyo for the final stretch from April 12th (the Friday prior).

Is this correct?
"Tickets to the second deck attract an additional fee and are sold only on the day." (from a CNN Travel article)

If I go on a Tuesday or Wednesday in the morning (be there at 8:30?), do I have a pretty good chance of securing a ticket for that evening?

Thank you in advance :)
by WongJP  

Re: Tokyo Skytree in Mid-April? Midweek? 2013/2/19 20:55
"Tickets to the second deck attract an additional fee and are sold only on the day." (from a CNN Travel article)

Yes, you can only buy them on the first observation deck.

If I go on a Tuesday or Wednesday in the morning (be there at 8:30?), do I have a pretty good chance of securing a ticket for that evening?

My understanding is that if you buy same-day tickets, you can't reserve a time slot. So, if you want to go in the evening, you should buy the ticket in the evening. I don't think that waiting times are too long on regular weekday evenings.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo Skytree in Mid-April? Midweek? 2013/2/20 05:54
My understanding is that if you buy same-day tickets, you can't reserve a time slot. So, if you want to go in the evening, you should buy the ticket in the evening. I don't think that waiting times are too long on regular weekday evenings.

Would you know if the tickets are only valid for a specific block of time? Like two hours or such? I wasn't sure if they were all-day or not.

Thanks for your response, Uji!
by WongJP rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo Skytree in Mid-April? Midweek? 2013/2/20 08:38
I looked up the details. The system is so that actually have to ride the elevator right after purchasing the same-day tickets, i.e. you cannot purchase the ticket in the morning and then use it to enter the tree in the evening. You have to enter it right away.

When it is crowded (waiting time would be more than an hour), instead of lining up, you will get a 30-minute time slot allocated during which you can enter the tower. But you cannot select your time slot.

If you want to be sure to enter during a specific time frame, you should make a reservation in advance. But unfortunately, the reservation system is not foreigner-friendly:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3064.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo Skytree in Mid-April? Midweek? 2013/2/20 12:30
Would you know if the tickets are only valid for a specific block of time? Like two hours or such?

No.
Once you are admitted to Tembo Deck, logically you can be inside the gates until the end of the business hours of the day.
As is explained by Uji, with a same-day ticket you cannot choose time to enter the tower.
In making a reservation, you need to decide a time slot of 30 minutes during which you will enter the tower.

Individual visitors waiting for same-day tickets are to use North Entrance on the 4th floor, while individual visitors with a reservation are to use Main Entrance on the 4th floor (closer to Oshiage Stations on four lines).

I'm looking at a Monday or Tuesday early evening in mid- April (the 15th or 16th).

That sounds nice. I suggest you would visit the tower by 4:00 pm, when probably most of people commuting via Oshiage are at work / school. The sun will set around 6:15 pm.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo Skytree in Mid-April? Midweek? 2013/2/20 15:20
Thanks to both of you for clarification! I have some friends in Japan so I may be able to reserve ahead of time. But in the event that I go on the day-of, I will take your advice. Thank you again!

Re: Tokyo Skytree in Mid-April? Midweek? 2013/7/31 05:18
Sorry that this reply is over a year old. However, I wanted to let you know how my experience turned out at the Skytree.

I got to Tokyo Skytree station around 3:30 to 4pm, per omotenashi's suggested time. There were tons of people waiting. I walked up to staffers who had color coded paper slips. These slips ask that you come back to get in a line at a specific time. I had about an hour and a half to burn, so I walked around the shopping areas and explored before getting in line for purchasing tickets.

The line leads from outside into the Skytree base, towards the ticket counters. After that, there's another set of long lines into the several elevators that goes up.

I made it in time at sunset but the sky was cloudy/hazy :( But it was nice to check out the views around the city up so high.

Although it's up super high, I think I liked visiting the Mori Tower Skydeck a little more. Mainly because the Skytree view of Tokyo (whether it's in the lower or higher deck) is mildly obscured by the "web" of the tower's construction. Being atop the skydeck, it was breathtaking at night to be in the open air with a not-so-obstructed view.

I ended up buying some souvenirs (yeah, they got me :)

reply to this thread