Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Getting to Shubuya from Narita Airport 2013/2/21 06:25
We will be travelling to Shubuya from Narita Airport(we are in our late 50s) it will be our first visit to Japan. My wife is very concerned about how we get to Shibuya from the airport and the which would be the easiest means of transport and costs. Someone said it is very expensive for taxis any help would be much appreciated.
by samuel corrie (guest)  

Re: Getting to Shubuya from Narita Airport 2013/2/21 08:05
You can get a direct train to shibuya, the narita express is reasonably priced and good value if bought as part of a package.
by pas7680 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Getting to Shubuya from Narita Airport 2013/2/21 08:07
The following page explains how to get from the airport to Shinjuku, but the directions are almost identical for getting to nearby Shibuya. Only the travel times and costs may vary by small amounts:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2027.html?aFROM=2027_3011

I recommend getting a Suica & NEX package and get on a direct Narita Express (NEX) train:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2359_suica_nex.html
http://jreast-shinkansen-reservation.eki-net.com/pc/english/common/tim...
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Getting to Shubuya from Narita Airport 2013/2/21 21:51
Shibuya Station of JR-East is rather simple and can be accessed on a direct Narita Express train from NRT.
Most of Narita Express trains departing from NRT have two destinations and are divided into two parts in Tokyo Station, one of which makes a stop at Shibuya.

When will you come?
In March 2013, minor changes will be made about Narita Express timetables and, as is mentioned below, two non-JR lines will get jointed in Shibuya.

Here are some things to note.
: Seats on a Narita Express train require reservation, which you can make at a JR-East office in your NRT terminal.
- http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/customer_support/service_center.html
: Narita Express 2 / 26 / 42 / 48 has only one part bound for Ofuna or Yokohama, which skips Shibuya. You can make a transfer in Shinagawa or, if you can reserve your seats, wait for another train which is to depart about 30 minutes later.
: There is a bit long way between the platforms of Shibuya used by N'EX and the statue of Hachiko dog, which is a popular meeting spot.
: Tokyo Metro has Shibuya Station on 3 lines, while Tokyu has Shibuya Station on 2 lines. When you use one of the 5 lines, please see the name of the line on signboards.
: Tokyo Metro subway Fukutoshin Line and Tokyu Toyoko Line will get jointed in the middle of March 2013. (Tokyu Toyoko Line tracks will move to the 5th basement.)
: If your guidebook on Tokyo does not show Fukutoshin Line on a subway route map, that sounds too old.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Getting to Shubuya from Narita Airport 2013/2/21 22:13
The Narita Express is really easy to use, so please tell your wife not to worry!

There is a JR Ticket Office at the airport. Go there to buy your NEX/SUICA ticket (you can read up on what this is at the links Uji posted above). The staff at the ticket office are very helpful and will make sure you book a seat on the correct train (and explain to you what train to catch).

At the platform, there are usually staff who will look at your ticket and then show you where to stand so that you will be right next to the correct train carriage for your seat.

On the train, there is space to store luggage and refreshments (drinks and snacks) are also available via a trolley which is wheeled through the carriages.

It's a very pleasant journey, very stressfree, and everyone was more than helpful to me on my first visit last year.

I hope this is reassuring to you!
by UK Traveller (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Getting to Shubuya from Narita Airport 2013/2/22 04:19
Thankyou so much to everyone for their answer they have calmed my my wife down somewhat
by samuel (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread