Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

PayPal/MC debit card at ATMs 2013/2/28 12:16
I only have a PayPal debit card, which is issued from Mastercard. Does anyone know if I will be able to withdraw cash from Japanese ATMs? I know the 7-Elevens accept international cards, but wondering if anyone has any advice.
by Kristen (guest)  

... 2013/2/28 17:59
Should be fine as it works in machines like a normal Mastercard.

ATMs in Japan:-
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2208.html

Enjoy your trip!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: PayPal/MC debit card at ATMs 2013/2/28 22:54
I was planning on exchanging a little bit of currency at the airport and then withdrawing the rest of it from ATMs as needed. Is that a bad idea?
by aeris32 rate this post as useful

Re: PayPal/MC debit card at ATMs 2013/3/1 00:11
From what I've understood, there are post offices everywhere and they always have atm machines. You should be able to use all the cards there, including visa electron debit cards.

http://www.jp-bank.japanpost.jp/en/ias/en_ias_index.html
by ilaari (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: PayPal/MC debit card at ATMs 2013/3/1 11:11
I was planning on exchanging a little bit of currency at the airport and then withdrawing the rest of it from ATMs as needed. Is that a bad idea?

No, that how I usually recommended people exchange money when travelling in Japan.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

... 2013/3/1 17:52
No, that how I usually recommended people exchange money when travelling in Japan.

Although if they are from countries other than the USA then they are often best off exchanging cash in their home country, or not at all and just using good value cards with minimal foreign exchange fees to withdraw from ATMs in Japan.
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: PayPal/MC debit card at ATMs 2013/3/1 19:21
Good point. Non-USD/Euro countries should check their specific options. Also, I too recommend using a (no foreign transaction fee) credit card as much as possible for the best rates, and the atms to get actual cash (which you still need, just not as much).
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread