Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Takaragawa Onsen 2013/2/28 13:53
Dear all,
Now I am looking for a suggestion on staying plan at Takaragawa Onsen.
Their stay plan at old Annex (no toilet) looks like good deal for 10000Yen with two meals.
But is it warm enough to stay in the winter?
Is it so cheap only because toilets are shared?
Thanks in advance for you help.
by aivanov3  

Re: Takaragawa Onsen 2013/2/28 14:18
But is it warm enough to stay in the winter?

They provide heaters in the rooms.

Is it so cheap only because toilets are shared?

And because the building is rather old, and not in the best of ways. But the baths are pretty worth worth it.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Takaragawa Onsen 2013/2/28 14:56
yllwsmrf thank you for you answer!

Excuse me, bun you please help me with some clarification:
1) Do they provide kerosine heaters (my wife have terrible headache because of them)?
2) Same heaters in annex & original building (not concrete one)? Or they have air cons there?
3) Wold you recommend to stay in annex if shared toilet is not a problem.

PS My understanding diner is same in annex and semi-old building.

Thank you!
by aivanov3 rate this post as useful

Re: Takaragawa Onsen 2013/2/28 16:02
I couldn't confirm that its kerosene heaters throughout, but that is most likely. You may want to contact them yourselves. I believe than can respond to english emails:

http://www.takaragawa.com/english.html

Re: Takaragawa Onsen 2013/2/28 16:13
Thanks for you answer!
Actually I did want to contact them before original question here but was not able to find e-mail address not on English, not on Japanese web site....
Sorry...

Re: Takaragawa Onsen 2013/2/28 16:22

Re: Takaragawa Onsen 2013/2/28 16:55
yllwsmrf thank you so much!
Feeling quit stupid now. :)
May be I making too big problem from one night stay...
Anton

Re: Takaragawa Onsen 2013/2/28 17:04
No worries, its best to ask when in doubt. Plus I can understand if your wife is sensitive to kerosene heaters, my mother is the same way.

Re: Takaragawa Onsen 2013/2/28 20:55
aivanov3 ,

I was there one winter, and there was no issue with heating inside the hotel as well as in our room. They may use oil heating, I could not remember, but I could smell nothing unusual.
My advice : be sure to request a corner room with windows facing the river and the Rotenburo.
This must be the most popular rooms and the best location in my opinion. We were in one of them ,second floor.
by liem (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Takaragawa Onsen 2013/3/1 08:32
Thank you liem, do you remember if you room was in 3 or 2 floor building? Or was it with toilet inside room or shred?

Re: Takaragawa Onsen 2013/3/1 10:13
I was there one winter, and there was no issue with heating inside the hotel as well as in our room. They may use oil heating, I could not remember, but I could smell nothing unusual.

Do you remember if they had kerosene heaters in the room? They generally look like this:

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=%E7%81%AF%E6%B2%B9%E6%9...

If not then they probably don't use kerosene.

Re: Takaragawa Onsen 2013/3/1 10:42
Do you remember if they had kerosene heaters in the room? They generally look like this:

No, I do not recall seeing anything like those home heating units. The onsen is a big commercial building, I am sure they have a proper commercial heating system.

Re: Takaragawa Onsen 2013/3/1 10:59
Then I would venture that they don't heat with kerosene. Better ask to make sure if your wife is that sensitive to it.

The onsen is a big commercial building, I am sure they have a proper commercial heating system.

Then you would probably be surprised how often that is not the case.

Re: Takaragawa Onsen 2013/3/1 11:08
aivanov3 ,

Looking at the old photo, my room is in the "main building ?" . It is white ,next to the river, has ground, 1st , 2nd and 3rd floors. There are only 3 or 4 corner rooms. One on each floor, maybe none on ground floor.
Those rooms have both river as well as the hotel's bridge and rotenburo views .

I did not take picture of the room, but am sure it has toilet, but no bath.

Re: Takaragawa Onsen 2013/3/1 11:19
do you remember if you room was in 3 or 2 floor building?

Sorry , looking at the builing from the riverside, it has only 3 floors. What looks like gound floor is stone wall and probably partly used as basement. Obviously only 3 corner rooms with the views to the river and the rotenburo.

Re: Takaragawa Onsen 2013/3/1 12:55
yllwsmrf, liem,
thank so much for you help.
Unfortunately ryokan is not answering English e-mails, so based on all of your information I will go for "original" building.

Thank you all again.

PS Regarding kerosene heters, we have one even at Ginzan Onsen quite expencive ryokan! Good thing it was not so clod, so wall A/C was enough to heat the room.

Re: Takaragawa Onsen 2013/3/1 13:05
Ok! Answer is more interesting than I have expected: Takaragawa Onsen use onsen water as heating system. No kerosene heaters in any of the buildings.

Re: Takaragawa Onsen 2013/3/1 14:29
That is really interesting. I'm a little surprised that this isn't more common at onsen ryokan, except that the maintenance is probably a nightmare.

reply to this thread