Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

FIrst time traveling to Tokyo 2013/3/2 16:09
FIrst off, I like to thank you for taking the time to read this (probably long post).

Let's Start...

It has been my life long dream to travel to Japan and it looks like this June I will finally have the funds to go. But I have a few questions before I go...

1. I leave LAX (Los Angeles) to HND on June 18th @ 6:30pm PST. Now I get that Japan is a hours ahead of my time. But when do I book my hotel for? The 20th or the 19th of june?

2. I am suppose to take the plane back from HND to LAX on the 27th of June @ 6:30 pm. Does this mean my time (PST Los Angeles) or Tokyo's?

and finally...

3. I plan to purchase a lot of Video Games (mostly Famicom, and Super Famicom) will I have a problem on my way back with customs?

Thank you so much in advance. I cannot wait!
by ZIcoLA  

Re: FIrst time traveling to Tokyo 2013/3/2 18:51
Plane departures are always given in local time. So your June 18th departure of 6:30pm will get you to Haneda on the 19th (not sure the time, but somewhere around 9pm or so?).

Your 27th of June departure from Haneda at 6:30pm will get you to LAX the 27th at maybe 4pm or so. Your airline should give you the actual arrival times.

How many games are you going to buy?
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: FIrst time traveling to Tokyo 2013/3/2 19:00
Both consoles and about 10 games for each. I was thinking about shipping them from there to here. But I don't know how easy it would be to send stuff from a Japanese post office.
by ZIcoLA rate this post as useful

Re: FIrst time traveling to Tokyo 2013/3/2 19:33

Well, I don't think you'll have much trouble with customs, IF you get picked out, that is.

It's for your personal use. And all the games are in Japanese, I don't think they'll make the assumption that you're trying to import games cheap and then sell it in America again.
Especially not if it's just one copy of every game.
by Carlove rate this post as useful

Re: FIrst time traveling to Tokyo 2013/3/2 19:58
Check out Super Potato for your games. We go to one in Akihabara which has retro games to play as well as buy.
http://www.superpotato.com/free_html.php?html=about_shop.html
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Re: First time traveling to Tokyo 2013/3/2 22:35
I leave LAX (Los Angeles) to HND on June 18th @ 6:30pm PST. Now I get that Japan is a hours ahead of my time.
take the plane back from HND to LAX on the 27th of June @ 6:30 pm. Does this mean my time (PST Los Angeles) or Tokyo's?

I have searched timetables.oag.com/lax/ but the mentioned flight from HND to LAX is not found....
The flight from LAX to HND seems to be the one with ETD at 18:35 on 18 June and ETA at 22:30 on 19 June. It sounds better to book a hotel near the airport for the night from 19 June.

PST stands for Pacific Standard Time. As you know, time in Los Angeles will be PDT (= Pacific Daylight Time, UTC - 7h) during this journey in June. Time in Japan will be JST (UTC + 9h). The time difference will be 16 hours.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread