Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tateyama Kurobe - high altitude sickness 2013/3/3 01:18
Hi.

I saw a warning on the Hotel Tateyama English website regarding potential high altitude sickness around the area.
Whilst I have not heard of visitors suffering such sickness, is this an extremely rare occurence there ?

My travelling partner suffered from such sickness during a trip to Tibet / Yunnan, so not sure if it is the same conditions at Tateyama as it is in Tibet / Yunnan.
We have visited a few mountains in Switzerland though and those seem OK.

Can someone pls advise before we start planning our trip there ?

Also, when is the optimal time to visit the snow corridor and yet to enjoy the scenery around the mountains ?

Thanks.
by TUL (guest)  

Re: Tateyama Kurobe - high altitude sickness 2013/3/3 09:06
Whilst I have not heard of visitors suffering such sickness, is this an extremely rare occurence there ?

I have never heard of it. Murodo is only around 2500 meters above sea level. I don't think that the sickness is common, at all, below 3000 meters. But then again, if the hotel has a warning, I guess that it is not 100% unheard of, either.

My travelling partner suffered from such sickness during a trip to Tibet / Yunnan

I understand that the elevation of Tibet is typically 3000-4500 meters. Much higher than the Alpen Route.

Also, when is the optimal time to visit the snow corridor and yet to enjoy the scenery around the mountains ?

On a weekday outside of Golden Week from the opening date in mid April to mid May when the wall is still highest.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Tateyama Kurobe - high altitude sickness 2013/3/20 11:15
Thanks for the reply.

Assuming a one way trip, is a day trip along the entire route recommended or should we stop mid-way and stay a night or 2 ?

If so, where is a good place to spend the night and what is there to see and do (mid-April to mid-May) ?

I read that the reviews on Hotel Tateyama were not that good.

Thanks.

by TUL (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tateyama Kurobe - high altitude sickness 2013/3/20 16:06
Assuming a one way trip, is a day trip along the entire route recommended or should we stop mid-way and stay a night or 2 ?

Either way is possible. It also depends on where you want to stay the night before and after and the time you will be able to start and traveling the route accordingly.

Some of the lodgings along the Alpen Route are also very popular or rather basic and may not fit your plans, budget or preferences. The Hotel Tateyama is the most convenient, but I think it can feel overprized because of the high costs to run a hotel in such a remote place. I also hear it is pretty popular and may be booked out during the snow wall season.

If so, where is a good place to spend the night and what is there to see and do (mid-April to mid-May) ?

There is very little to see besides snow and snow landscape.

Tateyama Kurobe - high altitude sickness 2013/3/23 21:22
Thanks Uji.

Is there a big difference (scenery wise and the height of the wall) if I visit at the end of April or mid-May ?

Trying to avoid the Golden Week, hence it is either the 4th week of April or mid-May.

Am thinking of doing the entire route (Toyama to Omachi onsen-kyo) and then return to Toyama on the following day.
That way I can see the scenery twice in case it rains on one of the days.
In your opinion, is this a good idea ?

Would the Shomyo Falls be open for viewing by the end of April ?
Worth the detour to see the falls then or in mid-May ?

Am I right to say that we stop at Murodo station and then walk along the snow corridor before returning to Murodo to catch the trolley bus on to Daikanbo ?

Generally speaking, does the snow corridor open around mid-April every year ?
In case I am unable to sort out a trip for this year due to time constraints, then maybe should start planning for next year !

Many thanks.
by TUL (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tateyama Kurobe - high altitude sickness 2013/3/24 13:32
Is there a big difference (scenery wise and the height of the wall) if I visit at the end of April or mid-May ?

There will be less snow in mid May, but I am not familiar with the exact pace of snow decrease. I think the snow wall will still be quite impressive.

Am thinking of doing the entire route (Toyama to Omachi onsen-kyo) and then return to Toyama on the following day.
That way I can see the scenery twice in case it rains on one of the days.
In your opinion, is this a good idea ?

If you have the time and money to do that, I think it is a good idea. But if you are short of either, I think you better pass the route just once.

Would the Shomyo Falls be open for viewing by the end of April ?

I have never been there, but the timetable states that the bus to the waterfall starts running in "late April". No exact date is mentioned.

Am I right to say that we stop at Murodo station and then walk along the snow corridor before returning to Murodo to catch the trolley bus on to Daikanbo ?

Yes.

Generally speaking, does the snow corridor open around mid-April every year ?

Yes, it opens at the same time when the entire route opens. This year it is April 16.

reply to this thread