Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hakone Freepass & Romancecar 2013/3/21 06:52
Hi, I know there are a lot of posts on this subject already but I am finding the Odakyu website a little confusing and just want to make sure I understand the way this works!

We will probably be travelling to Hakone on 1st or 2nd May, using the Freepass from Shinjuku. I was thinking of booking the Romancecar for one way of the journey.

I think this will cost 5,000Y for the pass plus 870Y for the Romancecar?

I am a little unclear about all the benefits of the Romancecar (apart from being quicker). I know people mention the views, does this follow a different route to the other Odakyu trains to Hakone? Or can we still see the views from an ordinary train?

Also, would we be ok booking seats on for the Romancecar about 5 days before we travel or will most of the best seats be gone?

Thanks for any help!
by Koduck  

Re: Hakone Freepass & Romancecar 2013/3/21 13:23
I think this will cost 5,000Y for the pass plus 870Y for the Romancecar?

That's right.

I am a little unclear about all the benefits of the Romancecar (apart from being quicker).

1) You get reserved, comfortable, forward facing seats. The other trains are regular urban commuter trains.

2) You can ride all the way through Hakone-Yumoto. The other trains require a transfer at Odawara

And some of the trains have these great seats at the very beginning of the train with views directly onto the train tracks.

The route is the same. 90% of it is suburban cityscape.

Also, would we be ok booking seats on for the Romancecar about 5 days before we travel or will most of the best seats be gone?

The trains can get busy on weekends and during holidays, but they do not usually book out on regular weekdays.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone Freepass & Romancecar 2013/3/21 15:35
The benefits of Romance Car are that it's quicker, you can book your seats (the other regular - local or rapid - Odakyu trains are like commuter trains, so no seat reservation is available, so you might have to stand all the way), and you can comfortably view the scenery. I believe they go on the same track, though.

Considering that it is in the middle of the Golden Week, the seat "may" get booked out, but you can just try, and if you don't find any vacancy, you can take the regular train. ENjoy your trip!
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone Freepass & Romancecar 2013/3/22 01:41
Please advise how to book a seat! I will be in Japan in early April and plan to visit Hakone on April8. Thx!
by Paelert (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread