Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Sake in luggage 2013/3/22 09:44
I have a connecting flight going home, so I know I can't buy sake from the airport.

I was thinking of buying sake outside and packing it in my luggage. Would I get stopped by the airport?
Has anyone done the same? Should I bubblewrap the sake?
by Jane (guest)  

Re: Sake in luggage 2013/3/22 11:47
I've packed a variety of drinks in my case over the years including sake and have never had a problem at the airport. I just wrap the bottle in a thick towel and pack other items around it so I doesn't break.
by JD (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Sake in luggage 2013/3/22 11:55
Thank you. I'll wrap it in towels.
by Jane (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Sake in luggage 2013/3/22 13:19
Hello! Please ensure the Sake is placed in your 'check-in' luggage. Staff at the stores will kindly wrap it in extra packaging for you if they know you are taking it back to your home country. Any Sake in the 'carry-on' luggage will be confiscated by security at the airport. It happened to me and the Bottles had to be repacked into a box and then taken back to be checked in as luggage. Cheers!!
by Gypsy13 rate this post as useful

Re: Sake in luggage 2013/3/22 14:17
When I was in university I had a German friend who would always bring a suitcase full of vodka back when she visited home (alcohol costs next to nothing in Germany). She never had anything break. Baggage handlers aren:t as bad as their reputation and bottles tend to be pretty sturdy,
by takeda's ghost (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Sake in luggage 2013/3/22 18:30
I have a connecting flight going home, so I know I can't buy sake from the airport.

You mean from the duty free shop within passport control? Why not just buy it from one of the airport stores before you check your luggage. Then just put it inside your check in bag.

I was thinking of buying sake outside and packing it in my luggage. Would I get stopped by the airport?

No, you would not get stopped.

Has anyone done the same?

All the time. There's just so much more selection outside of duty free.

Should I bubblewrap the sake?

It doesn't hurt but its not necessary. I usually just pack bottles among clothes in the center of my bag.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Sake in luggage 2013/3/23 06:37
We always bring a bottle of Sake home, in checked luggage, and always bring good Australian wine in for family when arriving in Japan, also in checked luggage, and packed appropriately.
It is not an issue, but just remember to include it in your duty free allowance
Good luck!!
by fmj rate this post as useful

reply to this thread