Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR West Wide pass or surutto 3 days 2013/3/23 09:34
Hi everyone,

I am not able to decide on which tickets to buy. Few things for me to take into consideration are as below:
1) I will be arriving in Osaka from Tokyo on 6Apr. Going to airport on 8Apr nighttime.
2) itinerary are 6Apr to go around Osaka area such as Osaka Castle, Dotonburi etc. Seems that these area require subway and buying JR Pass will incur additional costs.
3) 7 apr plan to go to Kyoto which is covered by both passes so that is also not an issue
4) 8 apr plan to go to mount yoshino.if I purchase JR pass seems that it will not go all the way.google map says I have to add on 1000 yen but Japan guide says only 450yen so I am a bit confused.
5) I also would like to try the bullet train for experience sake but the problem is only JR west covers Shinkansen but surutto does not.

Can someone help me decide which is the better option? Cheaper and convenient?Should I just buy surutto pass 3 day ticket then buy 1 way ticket on Shinkansen to anywhere to try it OR buy the jr west 4 days pass that will include Shinkansen then just add on any other costs for subway and mt yoshino train?
by NFO (guest)  

Re: JR West Wide pass or surutto 3 days 2013/3/23 16:02
itinerary are 6Apr to go around Osaka area such as Osaka Castle, Dotonburi etc.

That usually does not cost more than a few hundred yen. If you plan the day well, it should cost under 1000 yen. The Wide Pass covers JR, Surutto Kansai covers non-JR.

7 apr plan to go to Kyoto which is covered by both passes so that is also not an issue

The 500 yen ride to Kyoto is covered by both passes, but transportation within Kyoto is better covered by the Surutto Kansai pass than the JR West Kansai Wide Pass.

4) 8 apr plan to go to mount yoshino.if I purchase JR pass seems that it will not go all the way.

The JR pass is not suitable for the side trip to Yoshino. And the Surutto Kansai pass does not cover the entire journey, either.

I also would like to try the bullet train for experience sake but the problem is only JR west covers Shinkansen but surutto does not.

This is the only reason why the Wide pass may be worth considering. You can calculate the regular cost of shinkansen rides here:
http://www.hyperdia.com/

I personally don't think that either pass is particularly suited for your three days in the Kansai Version. I personally would just use an IC card, such as Icoca or Suica and try to plan the days in a geographically wise way. And pay for the shinkansen ride separately.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: JR West Wide pass or surutto 3 days 2013/3/24 21:48
Dear Uri,

Thanks for your explanation and help. However, I don't quite understand why is it that Surutto does not cover Mount Yoshino area? I read that Surutto also covers Kintetsu Railway which will go all the way to Yoshino, correct?

Thanks.
by NFO (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR West Wide pass or surutto 3 days 2013/3/24 23:04
Pls see the official map of KT pass. You need to go beyond Tsubosakayama station to reach Yoshino.
http://www.surutto.com/tickets/kansai_thru_english.html
by cc (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR West Wide pass or surutto 3 days 2013/3/25 00:33
Kintetsu Yoshino Line is only partly in the area of a Kansai Thru Pass.
Available Area Map shows Yoshino Line, and if it is not seen up close, it appears to be saying as if Yoshino Station were inside the area. The truth is explained in a remark under "Caution!!"
- http://www.surutto.com/images/ticket/kansai_thru_pass/english/en_map.p...
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: JR West Wide pass or surutto 3 days 2013/3/25 11:52
You mix up the Surutto Kansai prepaid card and the Surutto Kansai 3-day ticket. As explained by others, the 3-day ticket is only valid on a defined area within the Kansai Region that is much smaller than the area covered by the Surutto Kansai prepaid card. The prepaid card can be used as far as Nagoya, for example. The 3-day ticket cannot.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread