Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan Itinerary April 20-May 3 2013/3/24 04:09
Hello there,

I hope someone can help me with my planning dilemma.

My parents will visit Japan for 14 days. I live in Japan currently but would like some help from those more travelled in Japan than me in planning the itinerary.

Part of the trip will be to visit my city, Tottori.

So this is the tentative plan:
April 20 - land at KIX, Osaka, that night. I will meet them there.
April 21 - Osaka, possibly Kyoto - Osaka Castle, USJ, Tenpozan Ferris Wheel, Shinsaibashi, Kinkakuji, Gion District. Yes, we might not have time for all this, but I'm being optimistic at this stage!
April 22 - Osaka, possibly Nara to see Todaiji Temple and the deer. Leave for Tottori in the early evening. (about 3 hours away by bus)
April 23 - Tottori - No choice on this day - we have to be here on this day.
April 24 - Tottori - sand dunes, Uradome Coastline, Jinpukaku Mansion, possibly Izumo Temple in the next prefecture about two hours away. Hoped to see the Pear Museum in Kurayoshi. Too many things packed in one day, but again, this is all hypothetical.
April 25 - leave for Hiroshima (this is a 5-hour bus trip) See the A-Bomb Dome and Peace Park.
April 26 - Hiroshima possibly Miyajima Island
April 27 - leave Hiroshima for Tokyo
April 27 - Tokyo
April 28 - Tokyo
April 29 - Tokyo
April 30 - Tokyo
May 1 - Tokyo
May 2 - Tokyo
May 3 - Tokyo, then leave from Narita.

I think it might be too many days in Tokyo but I know my parents want to see Tokyo. Hiroshima is also important for them to see, so I'm not sure if I should assign more time for that, or just allocate an equal number of days for each place.

We want to try and get in the major sight-seeing attractions in each place, too, but of course it is a busy time in Japan and I have to consider crowds.

Anyway, any advice on how to get the most out of their visit (without having to book too many hotels as there aren't many affordable places available) would be most appreciated. It is a daunting task to plan a holiday that you hope people will remember forever!

Thank you so much for reading and considering my dilemma!

Pearlife
by pearlife (guest)  

Re: Japan Itinerary April 20-May 3 2013/3/26 03:25
Since you are travelling from Hiroshima to Tokyo anyway, you should consider spending more time in Kyoto on the way back. Obviously you could easily spend 5 days in Tokyo - it just depends on their interests.
by ChicagoMike rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Itinerary April 20-May 3 2013/3/26 15:36
Hi, again!

Thank you for the response!

Since I posted this message, the itinerary has changed.

Saturday April 20 - land in Osaka, take bus to Tottori.
Sunday April 21 - Tottori
Monday April 22 - Tottori
Tuesday April 23 - Tottori
Wednesday April 24 - leave for Hiroshima
Thursday April 25 - Hiroshima
Friday April 26 - Hiroshima
Saturday April 27 - Leave for Osaka
Sunday April 28 - Osaka
Monday April 29 - Osaka
Tuesday April 30 - leave for Tokyo
Wednesday May 1 - Tokyo
Thursday May 2 - Tokyo
Friday May 3 - Tokyo

A friend has also suggested they see South Korea but I dont see how they could with such a packed schedule. We also have to think of costs which are just escalating what with there being very few affordable hotels left. Not sure if I should just cut out one day from Hiroshima and another from somewhere else so we could fit in SK somehow. If anyone has done a two-week visit of Japan and branched off into a quick trip to Seoul for a weekend let know!

My parents are into sport but want to see famous cultural sites and perhaps do some shopping. They would not like to do things like climb mountains or take very long treks out into the wilderness. Theyre not old but they would like to take it easy.

thank you again for any help or advice you can give me! I really appreciate it!
by Pearlife (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread