Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Itinerary Options 2013/3/25 10:42
Which of the following itineraries would you prefer? I have a few questions about option 2 asked below? I have travelled to Europe many times but this is our first trip to Japan. Are there changes I should consider with either? IS there anything that is not practical? Please do not hold back.

Option 1
3-Nov-2013 Departure Atlanta
4-Nov-2013 Arrive Naritia – Tokyo (3:45pm)
5-Nov-2013 Tokyo
6-Nov-2013 Tokyo
7-Nov-2013 Daytrip Disneyseas
8-Nov-2013 Tokyo
9-Nov-2013 Kamakura Daytrip (Sleep Tokyo)
10-Nov-2013 Travel Kyoto
11-Nov-2013 Kyoto
12-Nov-2013 Kyoto
13-Nov-2013 Daytrip Nara (Sleep Kyoto)14-Nov-2013 Travel Yokohama
15-Nov-2013 Departure Naritia (4:40pm)

Option 2
3-Nov-2013 Departure Atlanta
4-Nov-2013 Arrive Naritia – Tokyo (3:45pm)
5-Nov-2013 Tokyo
6-Nov-2013 Tokyo
7-Nov-2013 Daytrip Disneyseas
8-Nov-2013 Travel Day - Nikko
9-Nov-2013 Nikko
10-Nov-2013 Travel to Yokohama (Is this doable? Is it worth it?)
11-Nov-2013 Travel to Kamakura (Is this doable? Is it worth it?)
12-Nov-2013 Travel to Hakone (Is this doable?)
13-Nov-2013 Hakone
14-Nov-2013 Travel to Tokyo
15-Nov-2013 Departure Naritia (4:40pm)

by robbydoc  

Re: Itinerary Options 2013/3/25 14:45
Both look doable, but I see you have deleted Kyoto from your second trip. I wouldnt be so dramatic as to say that Kyoto is a must, but it is pretty special particularly around that time of year when the autumn leaves will be out. It depends on what you like to do, is it temples or forests or cities that you like?
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary Options 2013/3/26 01:26
If you go with option 1, which I think is more of a standard itinerary for a first-timer, try to depart from Osaka (to save both time and money). I like the Kyoto option better as well , but both itineraries make sense.
by ChicagoMike rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary Options 2013/3/26 03:38
Both options are feasible.
But personally, I recommend the second. We want to make it too often ... and only move from one point to another.
If you stay in Tokyo, you will have time to explore the city and its surroundings.
Nikko is a must.
Hakone is a more ... island if weather is good enough to see the Fijisan.
Yokohama worth a day visit. Going to the top of Landmark Tower in Minato Mirail. To visit Chinatown. To go to the beer museum. To stroll in the old docks red brick ...
If you go to Kamakura. After visiting Hase dera Daibutsu and take the old railway line monorail Enoden. Go to Enoshima. Cross the bridge and visit the island ... wonderful memories.
You leave the link of the places I visited in Tokyo ... this will give you ideas.

http://translate.google.fr/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=fr&ie...

A link to the Toshogu Shrine in Nikko

My visit of Yokohama:

But this is not enough!
It will come back to visit Kansai. You should see KYOTO, NARA and OSAKA.
by fuchan29 rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary Options 2013/3/26 04:34
I forgot to mention it's just me and my wife.

The first option is more expensive. Probably buy the JR Pass.

The only thing that concerns me with the second itinerary is Nov 10,11,12. Where we change cities ever day. Will I feel rushed?
by robbydoc rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary Options 2013/3/26 04:41
I hope I understand you correctly - Kamakura and Yokohama can be done as day trips from Tokyo. Hakone is popular as an onsen destination, but can be done as a long day trip. The benefit of that as you can go on a good weather day, bettering your chances of seeing Mt Fuji.
by ChicagoMike rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary Options 2013/3/26 04:53
Yes I understand that Kamakura and Yokohama can be done as daytrips from Tokyo. I just wondered about coming back to Tokyo from Nikko and then leaving on a daytrip to Yokohama or Kamakura. Is this feasible or a good idea? I am also considering Hakone as a single daytrip if I choose this option. I very torn between the two options. At this point nothing is off the table.
by robbydoc rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary Options 2013/3/26 04:53
I second ChicagoMike's observation. It only takes about 40 minutes to get to Yokohama and 20 minutes more to Kamakura on local trains. Those are definitely doable as day trips, especially if you decide to get a hotel on the western/southern side of Tokyo, like Shinjuku or Minato (Shinagawa Station area).
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

reply to this thread