Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Passport photocopy 2013/3/25 15:47
Hey,
I was recommended by the travel agency to make one or a few photocopies of my passport when travelling to Japan, however they would not tell me why and what for.

Some people I talked to recommended me to keep the passport at the hotel room (if it is safely stowed away or a non-public room (i.e not a dorm)) and keep the photo copy with me when making daytrips or going downtown.

Would the japanese police accept this you think in case they would ask for ID? Last time I know I carried the pass in a concieled flat bag under my shirt. I am not afraid someone would try to rob me off it since it is a very safe country, still it feels a bit more relieving to know where it is, especially if doing far away trips. But that is just me.
by Gifu Joe (guest)  

Re: Passport photocopy 2013/3/25 19:18
I would not risk walking around with a copy of my passport unless youre carrying your passport in a hard-to-get area of your person. The embarrassment if the police were to ask for it and possibly detain you until you produce the real one wouldn't be something I'd want to experience. They can actually arrest you and make you time miserable if they wanted to.

Best thing is to just take it with you. I've done so in my travels and not once have I misplaced it. It's the law to carry it at all times.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Passport photocopy 2013/3/25 19:21
As for the copies you mentioned, I'm sure the travel agency meant that as a form of identification of your baggage in case it gets lost. I, too, have heard this suggestion but they added to put one in each piece of checked baggage in case they get lost in transit.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Passport photocopy 2013/3/25 20:49
I supspected that the police would not like to see a photocopy. Another forum suggested me to keep the passport at the hotel so I would not drop it and then use the photocopy for ID. Sounds more like if you are in Russia or someplace where they steal passes...
by Gifu Joe (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Passport photocopy 2013/3/25 23:09
In fact I recommend you to take a photocopies of your passport and leave it in your bag at your hotel.
I always carried my passport when I traveled but last summer I was in New-York and forgot my passport in one of those control area after a stupid ID check and it was on the last day of my trip :s
A chance that the embassy of my country was really close to my hotel, I only had to bring 13$ and 2 ID photos and 15minutes later had a temporary one.
The guy at the embassy recommend me to have photocopies.
by Klodo rate this post as useful

Re: Passport photocopy 2013/3/25 23:53
Well I will bring copies that's for sure, someone said it would be good to mail them too but perhaps encrypted or something then? I am not sure how safe it is to put something on your mailbox like that. Not sure if anyone could actually use the photocopy in case it got dropped or found.

Would it be best to make a full colour copy or just B/w?

By the way did you mean that I would be able to use it for flying out of Japan if I dropped the original passport? Will be in Tokyo the last days so it is close to our embassy.

Re: Passport photocopy 2013/3/26 00:37
I believe the main reason to bring a photcopy of a passport (when travelling internationally) is just to help you replace one if needed. You never know - you might fall into a swimming pool or something. So black and white is fine. I also try to leave a copy with an emergency contact at home, along with an itinerary with hotel contact numbers. Just in case something happens.
by ChicagoMike rate this post as useful

Re: Passport photocopy 2013/3/26 00:42
Replace the passport or photocopy you mean? If the photocopy would to replace the original passport I would still feel rather unsafe, especially if it would happen in the first days of the trip since I wont come to the embassy city for some weeks. Maybe the consulates can help me though.

Anyway, the idea of leaving info home sounds great. (A bit hard for them here at home to contact most of the hotels (non-Japanese speakers) but at least they can try.)

Re: Passport photocopy 2013/3/26 00:58
I mean, the photocopy is meant to help replace a lost passport. I don't think it's absolutely necessary as it is not a legally binding document (if you are really curious check the government's website - http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/emergencies/lostpassport/lostpassp... ), but it might help speed things up.
by ChicagoMike rate this post as useful

Re: Passport photocopy 2013/3/26 02:14
This is an exerpt from the Asahi Tokyo Law Office:

"SECTION II REQUIREMENTS FOR RESIDENCE
(Carrying and Presentation of Passport or Permit)
Article 23.
Any alien in Japan shall carry with him at all times the passport, or provisional landing permit, crewman's landing permit, emergency landing permit, landing permit in the event of a disaster or landing permit for temporary refuge. However, this shall not apply if the alien carries a Certificate of Alien Registration under the Alien Registration Law (Law No.125 of 1952).
The alien mentioned in the preceding paragraph shall produce his passport or permit specified in the same paragraph to an Immigration Inspector, Immigration Control Officer, Police Official, Maritime Safety Official or any other official of the state or local public entity as provided for by the Ministry of Justice Ordinance, if such an official requests the presentation of the passport or permit in the performance of his duties.

The official mentioned in the preceding paragraph shall, in case he requests the presentation of the passport or permit provided for in Paragraph 1, carry with him an identification card showing his official status and produce it upon request.

The provision of the first sentence of Paragraph 1 shall not apply to an alien under 16 years of age. "

And this is the penalty:

"Article 76.
Any person subject to any of the following items shall be punished with a fine not exceeding 100,000 yen.
(1) A person who does not carry a passport or a permit with him in violation of the provisions of Article 23, Paragraph 1 (except for Special Permanent Residents)
(2) A person who refuses to produce a passport or a permit in violation of the provisions of Article 23, Paragraph 2 "

The chances are slim they'll ask, but there's always a chance and depending on where you go, they may increase. I'm not one to rock the boat, but if you want to chance it, then go ahead. They can arrest you and hold you if they wish. There are no "Miranda" rights in Japan, just so you know.

by Justin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Passport photocopy 2013/3/26 14:44
Alright. I haven't read it fully but as I understand it is best to keep the passport on me all time when being out in the streets. Not that I look suspicious or like a terrorist or something but who knows.

I sent an email to my embassy in Japan about the thing of easier getting a passport from a photocopy, I'll see what they say.

Still, are you sure it would just take a B/W copy?

reply to this thread