Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kyoto to Nikko using Japan rail pass 2013/3/26 01:50
Hi All,

Any tips on how to effectively get to Nikko from Kyoto? I'm getting the Japan rail pass so can take the bullet train (minus the Nozomi). Last time I was there, they were making an express line from Shinjuku to Nikko. Did that ever come about and should I look into that? Does the rail pass cover it?

Thanks
by mishuko  

Re: Kyoto to Nikko using Japan rail pass 2013/3/26 07:58
The fastest is to take the Tokaido and Tohoku Shinkansen from Kyoto via Tokyo to Utsunomiya and then the JR Nikko Line to Nikko:
http://www.hyperdia.com/

Last time I was there, they were making an express line from Shinjuku to Nikko.

The direct trains from Shinjuku to Nikko are not fully covered by the Japan Rail Pass. There is only one direct round trip per day.

Did that ever come about and should I look into that?

Unless you want to visit Shinjuku along the way and do not mind to pay a supplement, it is not recommended.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto to Nikko using Japan rail pass 2013/3/26 10:16
I used my rail pass the way Uji said. I look at days where I am on trains a few hours as rest time....lol....I did a lot of walking once I got to Nikko....
by Maranyc rate this post as useful

reply to this thread