Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Are taxis within my budget? 2013/3/27 18:08
I'm going to Japan on Sunday with my girlfriend. We will take cases not backpacks and we're on a tight timetable. We only have one day in Kyoto and I hear the buses can be difficult and the trains don't seem to go anywhere near the tourist sites. Our budget is 10000 yen a day for both of us. Can we afford a taxi every now and then? Have any of you used them and how much did you pay (from which place to which place)? I appreciate any help.
by squarefred  

Re: Are taxis within my budget? 2013/3/28 07:15
We always take taxis around at least to get to the site then we tend to walk somewhere else, and the cost from site to site is usually between 1000 and 2000. But once we got a driver who took us around to 4 sites spread out a bit, and his cost for about half a day was around 10000. I suppose that as long as you are not going to each corner of Kyoto, you should be OK. I'd still walk a bit, eg Kiyomizudera to Yasaka (sp?) shrine, Ginkakuji to Nanzenji along the philosopher's path.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Are taxis within my budget? 2013/3/28 09:00
Just one thing: You're going during a very busy time to Kyoto!
The cherry blossoms are soon in full bloom and schools have spring vacation right now.
The last time I was in Kyoto during such a big time all the cars and thus also the taxis couldn't move much. Traffic jams everywhere! People who took the train and then walked were the ones who reached their destination the fastest.
by zoomingjapan rate this post as useful

Re: Are taxis within my budget? 2013/3/28 10:40
We've managed on a budget of 12000 yen a day for two of us and we take a few taxis when necessary. We save a lot of money by not eating in expensive restaurants.

Travelling around Kyoto is quickest by subway but it depends where you want to visit if you think a the stations will be close enough. It's cheap travelling by bus and you can get a 1 day pass for 500Y at the bus station outside Kyoto Station. They give you a mao too so it's easy to plan your journey. If you don't get a pass it's 220y for each ride. April is a busy time there and the roads get conjested but most roads are single lane traffic and the taxis get stuck along with the buses.

You mention having cases with you, are you staying in a hotel in Kyoto where you will leave the cases? If you need to use a luggage store at any time there is a luggage storage office under Kyoto station which only charges a small fee to leave cases there while you go sight seeing.
by JD (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Are taxis within my budget? 2013/3/28 11:26
Thanks for the useful answers. In Kyoto I think we'll stick to the trains then. We'll be in Kyoto for two nights so we might leave our bags at the aforementioned place under the station.
by squarefred rate this post as useful

Re: Are taxis within my budget? 2013/3/29 13:45

The Taxi price is 640 yen for 2 km. Then it rises as a function of time.
From Kyoto Station to go to Gion, starting about 1200 yen
Go from Gion to Ginkakuji, about 1300 yen
Go from Gion to Kinkakuji, about 1500 yen.
The bus tikets, are 220 ​​yen per person, regardless of the length of the path
There is a 500 yens "bus pass" per person per day for unlimited travel in the city.
by fuchan29 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Are taxis within my budget? 2013/3/30 01:27
That's very specific, therefore useful. My girlfriend has twisted her ankle now so it looks like taxis will be necessary from the station to the hotel in every place we stay to save us lugging our baggage around and to ease the stress on my girlfriend's ankle.
by squarefred rate this post as useful

reply to this thread