Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Driving in Kagoshima 2013/4/9 09:24
Hi,

I am planning a 4 days trip in Kagoshima and I heard that driving will be easier as public transportation there is not very accessible. I will going to Sakurajima and Hirishima.

My question is on the traffic and driving condition in Kagoshima. As I have not drove for quite some time and I have never drove a left-hand steering vehicle, is it advisable to drive in Kagoshima? Are the roads very narrow and is there alot of vehicles on the road (traffic jam, etc).

I will be going during the golden week. So I believed that the traffic there will be pretty bad.

Thank you.
by Gerry (guest)  

Re: Driving in Kagoshima 2013/4/9 10:08
I never felt that Kagoshima is difficult to drive. The roads are wide and easy to drive (unless you enter some minor side streets) and there are not many traffic jams, although during Golden Week this could be different, especially on April 27 and May 3 out of the city and on April 28-29 and May 5-6 back into the city. Also, left-hand driving can be challenging if you are not used to it.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Driving in Kagoshima 2013/4/9 12:09
Hi Uji,

Thank you for your prompt reply. I am glad to hear that the roads will be wide which is good. I guess I will give it a shot.

One last question with regards to Sakurajima, I understand that we can ferry our rented car over. Have you or anyone tried it before? Is this 1 ferry per car and will they help to drive into the boat? I am worried I may accidentally drive into the sea instead.

Thanks!
by Gerry (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Driving in Kagoshima 2013/4/9 12:19
One last question with regards to Sakurajima, I understand that we can ferry our rented car over. Have you or anyone tried it before?

Yes, and its extremely easy.

Is this 1 ferry per car and will they help to drive into the boat?

Its a big boat that holds several dozen cars. You simple drive on and park where directed. Then you drive off and pay at the exit booth at Sakurajima Island.

I am worried I may accidentally drive into the sea instead.

Don't worry, that would be quite impossible the way their system is set up. The only thing to note is that the car entrance is slightly past the ferry building and is not the same as the passenger entrance. If I recall correctly, there are signs in English to guide you.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Driving in Kagoshima 2013/4/10 00:21
Be sure to get a map of Sakurajima. There's a "Tembodai" (lookout) to the left up the mountainside after you get off the ferry. The roads aren't marked very well but you can usually find it by just taking some roads uphill. From the top there are good views of the west side of the volcano, the western side of Kagoshima Bay, the city of Kagoshima, and the 1914 lava flows on the west side. Heading counterclockwise around the volcano is a Sabo museum that is mildly interesting that no foreigner goes to. Sabo are earth flows which are common on the side of ash covered volcanoes. The other sights are easy to spot such as the lava field overlook and walking trails and the Kurokami buried torii across from an elementary school.

On the east side of Sakurajima, turn north toward Kokubu-shi on Route 220 to get to Kirishima. On the left as you head up is the Taramizu Miti-no-eki, a rest stop that has a free foot onsen, where you can relax and look at the volcano.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/anaguma/7568953818/

As you approach Kokubu-city, you can take Route 10 toward Miyakonojo city to get to the Jomon Uenohara archaeological museum and site. This is the largest Jomon site found in Japan. Some of the buildings have been reconstructed but most have been covered over again. The museum is good and has displays with some English. There is also a small restaurant above the museum. On the northeast side of the complex is the building that does all the artifact work. They usually give tours to school groups, but they sometimes show a lost-looking foreigner around.

From Kokubu-city take 60 (narrow) or 223 toward Ebino-kogen to get to Kirishima National Park.

To get back to Kagoshima quickly, you can head toward the Kyushu Expressway toll road for an easy shot south.
by Anaguma (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread