Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Best Incense shop in Kyoto? 2013/4/11 23:42
I am a lover of Japanese incense and was wondering if anybody can tell me the best incense shops in Kyoto?

I know about Shoyeido because they are readily available in the UK. I am looking for something more unusual and less mainstream.
by Barrywa39  

Re: Best Incense shop in Kyoto? 2013/4/12 15:52
This link may be helpful:

http://openkyoto.com/kyoto-support/topic/kyoto-incense-stores

I have shopped at Lisn (owned by Shoeido). It is a modern concept store with an interesting, if not trendy, selection (certainly a far cry from the traditional Japanese incense manufacturers). Lisn incense is very difficult to find outside of Japan. They used to sell their products through a select group of retailers outside of Japan; however, they have stopped doing this.

I have also purchased incense at temples, such as Sanzen-in Temple. The incense produced for them is also not available outside of Japan.

Hope this helps!
by Guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best Incense shop in Kyoto? 2013/4/12 23:21
Thanks for that 'Guest'. I am looking for the more traditional incense sticks, like the ones you bought at the temple. Thanks for the link too.
by Barrywa39 rate this post as useful

Re: Best Incense shop in Kyoto? 2013/4/13 05:24
We always stock up on the incense that you get from ginkakuji which has a really nice aroma. That, and there is a good selection at a pottery shop just down from Kiyomizudera, and we buy up there too. I dont know what it is called, but as you are walking down the hill from Kiyumizudera, not far (before the turn off toward Gion), it is in an alley on the left with a restaurant as well, and there is pottery on display in the alley. It featured in "Virgin Snow" if you've seen the movie.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best Incense shop in Kyoto? 2013/4/13 15:33
Thank you 'Lazy Pious'.
by Barrywa39 rate this post as useful

Re: Best Incense shop in Kyoto? 2013/4/14 16:42
actually I realised that we have a heap of the incense here. Here is the website from the box http://www.kungyokudo.co.jp/english/

That isnt the shop we got it from, though.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best Incense shop in Kyoto? 2013/4/15 17:48
Thanks for the link. I will take a look.
by Barrywa39 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best Incense shop in Kyoto? 2014/3/7 07:39
I think the incense that you buy at ginkakuji is also a Shoyeido, called Haku-un. Yes it's one of my fav's too! The sticks are grey coloured, if that's the same? There's a store in the uk I buy them from sometimes called zen minded.
by Jess (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread