Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 7: Posts 1 - 20 of 121

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
next

What is wrong with 7-11 ATM's? 2013/4/20 23:51
What is wrong with 7^11 ATM machines? I have a Maestro card and I can`t withdraw money from now on? where can i do it now? anyone with the same problem? thank you!
by valverde  

Re: What is wrong with 7-11 ATM`s? 2013/4/21 08:54
7-Eleven stopped accepting Mastercard, Maestro and Cirrus at its ATMs:
http://www.sevenbank.co.jp/support/info2013041901.html

Mastercards and Maestro cards without EMV chips are still accepted at other international ATMs in Japan, though, such as post offices. But Maestro cards with EMV chips stopped being accepted even there:
http://www.mastercard.com/jp/personal/jp/cardholderservices/atmlocatio...
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: What is wrong with 7-11 ATM`s? 2013/4/21 19:08
Japan is a strange system..
My Maestro Card only works at 7/11 ATM
Try Family Mark maybe!
by Uriziel rate this post as useful

Re: What is wrong with 7-11 ATM`s? 2013/4/21 20:14
Oooh, is this the reason I couldn't withdraw money with my Mastercard a few days ago? The ATM printed out a note saying the PIN inserted was incorrect, nothing about not accepting Mastercard. They still had the mastercard sticker on the machine, so I didn't have a clue...
by kitten (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What is wrong with 7-11 ATM`s? 2013/4/21 21:10
Does this means you can't draw money with a normal Maestro card nor with the Master Card anywhere in Japan?

Can I still pay the hotel fees or shopping items in the normal way with signature?
by Lisa (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What is wrong with 7-11 ATM`s? 2013/4/21 22:28
I personally have a big problem, that I donLt know how to solve because I canLt withdraw also from citybank.... now if tomorrow the ATM from youbikyouku doesnLt work I donLt know! anyone knows about other chains that have some agreement with Maestro? Uffff.... Why!?
by valverde rate this post as useful

Re: What is wrong with 7-11 ATM`s? 2013/4/21 22:48
Does this means you can't draw money with a normal Maestro card nor with the Master Card anywhere in Japan?

No, it does not mean this! Mastercards and Maestro cards without EMV chips are should till get accepted at ATMs in post offices and other international ATMs, just not the 7-Bank ones.

Can I still pay the hotel fees or shopping items in the normal way with signature?

According to my understanding, the non-acceptance issue is limited to ATM withdrawals.

Re: What is wrong with 7-11 ATM`s? 2013/4/22 19:00
The same thing has been happening to me all day. Bloody nightmare. Thanks for the info Uji.
by honeycaeks (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What is wrong with 7-11 ATM`s? 2013/4/25 00:05
offical announcement:
To: Cardholders of Maestro-branded EMV Cards issued outside of the Asia/Pacific Region
Re: Temporary Suspension of Maestro ATM Acceptance in Japan

Thank you very much for patronage with MasterCard. As of April 19, 2013, all Maestro-branded EMV cards issued outside of the Asia/Pacific region will be temporarily unable to withdraw currency at domestic ATMs, while the regional ATM network is upgraded.

Maestro-branded EMV cards issued within the Asia/Pacific Region, Maestro-branded cards without EMV chip, MasterCard-branded cards, and Cirrus-branded cards are not affected by this temporary suspension of service. Cardholders can continue to be able to use these other MasterCard products at ATMs and merchants across Japan.

MasterCard is working with these customer financial institutions to enable full acceptance of all cards as soon as possible.

Please accept our deep apology for the inconvenience caused.

http://www.mastercard.com/jp/personal/jp/cardholderservices/atmlocatio...

Damn, I need the money now!
by robert (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What is wrong with 7-11 ATM`s? 2013/4/25 10:45
I have had my foreign bank debit card rejected at 7-11's in the last few days. It is supposed to work with Cirrus and the screen was just giving me a "temporarily unavailable" message so I thought it was only an individual machine problem. I wish they had communicated what is happening better, it could have been printed on my receipts or on the screen for the past 2 months or something. I was outside the country and came back with only 3500 yen in hand thinking it was no problem to just make a withdrawal as usual, good thing I have a Japanese account to dip into.
by Brendan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What is wrong with 7-11 ATM`s? 2013/4/25 12:17
I have had my foreign bank debit card rejected at 7-11's in the last few days. It is supposed to work with Cirrus and the screen was just giving me a "temporarily unavailable" message so I thought it was only an individual machine problem.

7-Eleven ATMs do not accept Mastercards, Maestro and Cirrus cards. But other international ATMs, such as the ones at postal offices should accept Cirrus cards.

Re: What is wrong with 7-11 ATM`s? 2013/4/25 14:17
Let's not blame 7-11 before we have all the facts. Mastercard is well known for asking merchants to pay high fees for the "privilege" of letting stores customers use their MC cards...It could well be that 7-11 called their bluff.

In Canada, and maybe the USA too, there is a class action suit in the works..

By the way one should NOT use a credit card to get money from an ATM. The very high interest charge starts when you get the cash.
by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What is wrong with 7-11 ATM`s? 2013/4/25 15:18
The bigger problem is that Mastercard (and their affiliate Maestro and Cirrus branded) ATM cards are also affected. And this is actually the second time in recent history that Mastercard users have been left out in the cold with very short warning. Personally I'd consider shopping around for another brand.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: What is wrong with 7-11 ATM`s? 2013/4/25 15:37
It is a pain in the ass. What is the solution? I only have a maestro and an Amex card, both issued from europe.

Where can we withdraw money without using instances like western union.

any advice? and any clue how long this will take?
by m112 (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2013/4/25 16:00
It is a pain in the ass.

More like a minor inconvenience.

What is the solution?

Just go to a Japan Post ATM, or Citibank, or Shinsei Bank, etc.

I only have a maestro and an Amex card, both issued from europe.

So, you should be fine at any of the ATMs listed above.

any advice?

As above, all explained here:-
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2208.html

and any clue how long this will take?

5 seconds.

Also, in general I suggest people just get used to carrying cash around (again). Maybe some of you (as tourists) spend a lot while you are in Japan but we tend to only make one withdrawal while we are in Japan for a holiday. Obviously it is different if you live there, but probably not so hard to work around.

Enjoy your trip!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: What is wrong with 7-11 ATM`s? 2013/4/25 16:26
Thanks for your reply. I feel better now, I was afraid I could not withdraw money anywhere because of this.

Cheers.
by m11 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What is wrong with 7-11 ATM`s? 2013/4/25 17:03
Same problem here. I was using maestro cards in japan for over fives years and now suddenly it's not working anymore. I had to borrow money from my university. How long will the service be blocked? I need the money to pay my rent and everything else!
by bemben (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What is wrong with 7-11 ATM`s? 2013/4/26 12:55
It is my understanding from the Mastercard, 7-11, and JP Bank announcements that EMV cards are blocked at ALL atms in Japan. If this is indeed the case (I don't have an EMV card to test with) then this absolutely leaves people stranded.

Normally this wouldn't have too much fallout as people could make other arrangements, however, it seems that there may have been very little lead time between the announcement and the actually termination of service which didn't give people enough time to prepare.

I only have a maestro and an Amex card, both issued from europe.

Can you not use your AMEX normally or arrange a cash advance on that card? They are not affected by the mastercard issues.

and any clue how long this will take?

I haven't seen an expected end date. For now I would assume that it is indefinite.

Also, in general I suggest people just get used to carrying cash around (again).

If you are in country and no longer have access to your bank account then this may not be an option. Try to use other cards as much as possible, but if you are truly stranded try calling mastercard's Japanese emergency line to see if they can issue you an emergency (non-EMV) card which should still work in Japan, or an emergency cash advance.

http://www.mastercard.us/_assets/docs/GlobalServiceTollfreeNumbers.pdf
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: What is wrong with 7-11 ATM`s? 2013/4/26 13:17
Can anyone confirm that VISA is really really really still working with Post Office ATM's?
And if yes, no warning that the same might happen to them as well?

When checking their website I get plenty results for ATM's in Japan while on Mastercard no results are shown anymore - as it is definately not working anymore.

Does anyone have any information when this issue might be resolved? It might be not the mass of people but some really depend on this as they don't have any other possibility to get their money. It's unbelievable that there is no temporary solution for Maestro/MasterCard holders to get any money...
by Lisa (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What is wrong with 7-11 ATM`s? 2013/4/26 13:54
I'm having the same issue as everyone else. Only realised yesterday after all the ATMs kept rejecting my card.

I haven't tried the post office ATM yet but I'm not too confident about it.

If anyone has been able to withdraw somewhere then please keep us posted on the location. I'm in Tokyo and desperately need to get some cash out :(
by Dru (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 7: Posts 1 - 20 of 121

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
next

reply to this thread