Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

16 Day Itinerary 2013/4/25 23:42
I know similar questions have been asked before, but I am travelling to Japan solo for the first time from 25th June-11th July, and have a rough itinerary organised. Am I trying to do too much/should I leave more time in any particular places?

25th- Land Osaka 7am
26th-Osaka-Nara
27th-Nara
28th-Nara-Koyasan
29th-Koyasan-Hiroshima/Miya-jima
30th-Hiroshima/Miya-jima -Kyoto
1st- Kyoto (Gion Festival)
2nd- Kyoto
3rd- Kyoto- Takayama
4th-Takayama + Shirakawa Go
5th-Takayama-Mt Fuji
6th-Mt Fuji-Tokyo
7th- Tokyo (Sunday, so Harajuku)
8th-Tokyo-Nagoya for Sumo (ticket purchased already)
9th- Nagoya-Tokyo (Baseball at 6pm- ticket purchased already)
10th- Tokyo
11th- Fly out Tokyo 10am

Am I being too ambitious? I'm also little concerned about the Takayama to Mt Fuji stretch (6 hours travel) but is it worth missing? And I am purchasing a 14 day rail pass, when should I activate it?

Thanks!
by Anna-C (guest)  

Re: 16 Day Itinerary 2013/4/27 11:59
If you like to travel at a medium-fast pace, it is feasible.

I would consider visiting Shirakawago on the way from Kyoto to Takayama (via Kanazawa). It can save time and money.

I am not sure where around Mount Fuji you plan to go, but if it seems to be too much on the Takayama day, I would consider combining the visit with the side trip to Nagoya, instead.

As for the dates of the pass, the important thing is that the Nagoya side trip is covered. It does not make much difference if you start using it on the 26th, 27th or 28th.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: 16 Day Itinerary 2013/4/28 13:00
Thank you for the feedback! I booked the tickets on impulse and now I have to make plans!

As it will be my first visit to Japan, is there anything that you think I should take out in order to spend more time somewhere else? I'm conscious that I'm trying to see alot, but I think I should take something out so it can be a bit slower-paced.

Regarding Mt Fuji, I was looking at accommodation in Fujikawaguchiko town. But should I try to stay at a temple at Koyasan? Or can you see the morning rituals without staying there?

Thank you again!
by Anna-C (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 16 Day Itinerary 2013/4/28 19:01
As it will be my first visit to Japan, is there anything that you think I should take out in order to spend more time somewhere else?

It generally looks like a very interesting trip to me. If you are into culture and history, one more day in Kyoto would probably not hurt. It is indeed a medium-fast paced trip. If you prefer a slower pace, you may want to drop a destination or two.

But should I try to stay at a temple at Koyasan?

Yes, that is a great experience.

Or can you see the morning rituals without staying there?

No.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread