Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hakone vs. Takayama 2013/4/26 16:32
Hi

I am staying in Kyoto for the next few months, and among the destinations that I would like to visit are Hakone and Takayama. According to my schedule, most probably I will go to one of them in the end of May, and the other only in July (maybe in June, if I'll have the time). So my first question is which destination do you think is better for summer time?
Moreover, the end of May trip involves the birthday of my wife, so we would like to rent a private cabin with a private onsen (I hope I called it correctly). Do you know or recommend such onsens in these two locations?

Cheers :)
by nadavamd  

Re: Hakone vs. Takayama 2013/4/26 23:42
Which to visit to some extent depends on a number of factors.

Essentially, because Takayama is a town, there's more to do in terms of sightseeing but if you're thinking of using the time more to relax, Hakone may be better.

Hakone is certainly the better place to experience the joys of a Japanese ryokan (not a cabin!) and many of them have private rotenburo (outdoor hot spring baths).

If you can give me a rough idea of your budget per night, I'll suggest some suitable ryokan.

by Saru Bob (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone vs. Takayama 2013/4/28 19:02
Hi

Thank you very much for the reply.
I think that maybe for a birthday treat, Hakone will be better.
I think that around 200-250$ per night should be reasonable with me, but I'm not sure what are the costs of private rotenburu.
If it is too expensive I think there is a possibility to stay at a regular ryokan, and just rent a private bath for a hour or two? what do you know about it?

Thanks
by nadavamd rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone vs. Takayama 2013/4/30 17:49
Hi

Sorry about the late reply; I've been away for a few days.

Anyway, if $200-$250/night is your total budget, there won't be many ryokan where you could get a private rotenburo with the room.

One possibility would be Ichinoyu Honkan, where, if memory serves, you can get such a room for about 14000 per person/night.

http://english.ichinoyu.co.jp/honkan/room/index.html
by Saru Bob (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread