Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

First trip to Tokyo 2013/4/26 23:11
Intend to travel to Tokyo from 18 May to 27May. Itinerary is as follow:
18/5 Tokyo (shinjuku area)
19/5 Alphine tour
20/5 Alphine tour/Tokyo
21/5 Kyoto
22/5 Kyoto (day trip to Nara/Osaka)
23/5 Tokyo (Yokohama)
24/5 Tokyo (Day trip to Hakone/Mt Fuji)
25/5 Tokyo (Asakusa area)
26/5 Tokyo
27/5 Home sweet Home
Pls advise whether should I buy a 7 days JR pass for Kyoto trip? How to get from Shinjuku Station to Kyoto station.
Thanks
by zen88  

Re: First trip to Tokyo 2013/4/27 08:23
What is the Alpine Tour? Do you mean the Tateyama-Kurobe Alpen Route? If so, I strongly recommend to continue traveling to Kyoto after traversing the route rather than to return to Tokyo, because the Alpen Route is halfway in between Tokyo and Kyoto.

A 7-day Japan Rail Pass will pay off for the above suggested route. And even more so if you were to make the big detour via Tokyo.

How to get from Shinjuku Station to Kyoto station.

Take the Yamanote Line to Shinagawa and then a Hikari train along the Tokaido Shinkansen to Kyoto.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: First trip to Tokyo 2013/4/27 23:46
Thank for your reply.As i am join a 2d1n tour so they will drop off at Shinjuku.i will only activate my jr pass for the kyoto trip.
by zen88 rate this post as useful

Re: First trip to Tokyo 2013/4/28 07:48
Good luck to you, Marathon man!
Make this journey in 10 days is a challenge, especially for a first time!
I wonder why you want to go in the Japanese Alps. Especially to return to Tokyo. You know the travel time?
Tokyo and Kyoto are sufficient for a stay of 10 days. You must stay in Kyoto more than a day.
Nara / Osaka in one day ... why not as long as you target the places you want to see.
Yokohama, yes, I like the mirail Minato district, the port and Chinatown. But there are certainly other interesting areas, to see in Tokyo ...
Do not program the day of your trip to Hakone. Do it when the weather is beautiful in Tokyo. It would be a shame not to see Mount Fuji.
Personally, I prefer the view from Kawaguchiko.
But it's your journey.
Here you will find many ideas for visits from my experience of Japan:
http://www.soleilrouge.org/
Enjoy your stay in Japan!
by fuchan29 rate this post as useful

Re: First trip to Tokyo 2013/4/28 08:01
Make this journey in 10 days is a challenge, especially for a first time!

The French are known to be among the slowest travelers in the world. The average global traveler will find zen88's itinerary medium to fast paced, and many travelers will not find it a challenge. They may find it a challenge to spend 5 days each in a single city, though.

zen88, if you are interested in history and tradition, I would suggest toallocate more time to Kyoto. If not, I don't think there is a need to change the time allocation.

I wonder why you want to go in the Japanese Alps.

I guess it is because Singapore does not have mountains or snow. The luxury of having Alps in their countries is limited to the French, Japanese, Swiss, Austrians, Italians, Lichtensteiners, Germans, Slovenians and the Monacans.

But I have to agree that returning to Tokyo is a massive waste of time. I hope your tour for the Alpen Route is very good or competitively priced.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: First trip to Tokyo 2013/4/29 12:38
Thanks for the advise.I should forget the alphine route n stay 3 nights at Kyoto.Should I make my way to Hakone from Kyoto and stay 1 night there? How long the ride using JR pass?
by zen88 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread