Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hokkaido family trip in June 2013/4/27 15:39
Hi all,

I'm planning a family trip (4 adults, 2 kids - 6 and 2) for Hokkaido in early June and would like some help on this itinerary.

Thanks in advance.

Day 1 - arrive CTS early morning
Get rental car, drive to Furano
Drive around Furano
Overnight in Furano

Day2 - Furano - Biei
Drive around Furano and Biei
Overnight in Asahikawa

Day 3 - Asahikawa
Asahiyama Zoo
Overnight in Asahikawa

Day 4 - Otaru
Drive to Otaru
Possibly visit the Nikka Whisky Distillery
Overnight in Sapporo

Day 5/6 - Sapporo
Return rental car
Overnight in Sapporo

Day 7/8 - Hakodate
Take train to Hakodate
Overnight Hakodate

Day 9 - Depart from Hakodate airport

Questions -
1. Day 2 overnight in Asahikawa or Biei?
2. Day 3 - apart from Zoo, what else to do in Asahikawa?
3. Day 4 - better to do Otaru on this day or Day 5?
4. Do we need car in Sapporo and Hakodate?

Thanks.
by sssup (guest)  

Re: Hokkaido family trip in June 2013/4/27 15:54
1. Day 2 overnight in Asahikawa or Biei?

I would overnight in Biei, since Asahikawa has not much to see besides the zoo in my opinion unless you have some other place in mind in Asahikawa. But judging from your second question, it seems you don't.

Day 4 - better to do Otaru on this day or Day 5?

Either would be okay in my opinion. A car can be useful for visiting Otaru if you visit some of the less central sites, but the city can also be easily visited in a side trip from Sapporo by public transportation.

4. Do we need car in Sapporo and Hakodate?

No, it is not necessary. But it can be convenient. In rare cases, a car can be inconvenient, in particular with regards to parking (or a visit to the whisky distillery - Japan maintains a strict zero-alcohol policy for drivers), although most sights in the cities do provide parking.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Hokkaido family trip in June 2013/4/27 17:45
Dear Uji,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I am more inclined to base the first three nights in the same place then,

Biei seems like the better choice than Furano given the central location among the three.

Is above correct or is the driving back and forth not that much troublesome?

Thanks a lot.
by sssup (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hokkaido family trip in June 2013/4/27 19:14
Is above correct or is the driving back and forth not that much troublesome?

I find it slightly troublesome (maybe partially because I drove that route dozens of times before). It is about 45 minutes between Furano and Biei, for example, which I consider a considerable amount of time. Then again, if you drive Biei-Furano just once and Biei-Zoo once (the zoo is almost as close to Biei as it is to Asahikawa), it is not that bad, I guess.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Hokkaido family trip in June 2013/4/27 21:35
Thanks very much.
by sssup (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread