Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Traveler cheques - still usable? 2013/4/29 12:33
Hi!

As the Maestro/Master Card issue isn't revolved yet and VISA also has EMV chips (and who knows if those won't be accepted soon as well...) I thought about getting a backup via Traveler Cheques.

Are they still accepted in Japan? If I'm not mistaken I can exchange them in some Japan post offices (f.e. in front of Kyoto station - can anyone confirm?)?
Did anyone ever have any trouble with exchanging them?

I would buy them in Japanese Yen, so I wouldn't have any trouble if the post office wouldn't want to accept them with Dollar/Euro.

Thanks in advance!
by Lisa (guest)  

Re: Traveler cheques - still usable? 2013/4/30 19:59
I know it worked some years ago - but I'm not sure if that's still accurate. Since I'm planning to do the same in some months, I'd appreciate an answer as well.

So, does anybody know?
by Chuck (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Traveler cheques - still usable? 2013/4/30 21:41
I've used them on three separate trips. I buy them at the local bank in the US, for $100 denominations for a 2% fee and then I change them at Narita airport for usually 1 yen less than the official rate and 2 yen more than the cash equivalent. Last time I took $4000 in T/Cs and the guy at the window laughed when I shouted "Yatta!" and was done signing all 40 of them.

Yes, they are still in use, since I did that March 11th last year.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Traveler cheques - still usable? 2013/4/30 21:53
Thanks John! Relieved to hear that they are still accepted :-)

Left to know is if the post offices also still accept them as I don't want to exchange them all at once~
by Lisa (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Traveler cheques - still usable? 2013/4/30 22:28
John,

thank you very much, I'm relieved beyond description!!!
by Chuck (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Traveler cheques - still usable? 2013/5/1 10:21
I've only cashed them at Narita, so I couldn't tell you about Japan Post, sorry. :-(
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

reply to this thread