Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

UK Visa debit card work in Japan? 2013/5/1 06:24
Hello,

I'm just wondering if I can use my Natwest Visa Debit Card to withdraw cash within Japan.

I heard that 7-11 accepts many international cards and I will be staying close by to a 7-11, will my card be accepted?

Thanks!
by P4 Adachi  

Re: UK Visa debit card work in Japan? 2013/5/1 10:03
visa debit cards should work fine, mine do. Post offices and other foreign banks atm's should work just as well.
by pas7680 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: UK Visa debit card work in Japan? 2013/5/1 12:26
I agree with Pas7680.

I was going to refer the OP to the new article posted at japan-guide.com about ATMs in Japan BUT I feel he/she should be fine with their UK Visa Debit Card. For other people whom the new situation may apply to, they may want to read the following page:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2208.html

The OP may want to follow the tips provided on that page for using their VISA Debit Card in Japan such as informing your bank before going that you will be in Japan using your card so that they won't put a lock on it once you use it.
by Gamesnacks rate this post as useful

Re: UK Visa debit card work in Japan? 2013/5/1 20:29
You can tell your bank about your trip but more often than not they ignore you anyway. I've had my card blocked 3 out of 4 trips. Make sure you have the contact number to call them should it happen.
by pas7680 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: UK Visa debit card work in Japan? 2013/5/1 20:51
Thanks for your fast and helpful replies.

That puts me at ease as I was thinking of travellors cheques/cash cards as an alternate, but if I can use my card fine then there's really no need.

I told my bank but as 'pas7680' said they just ignore it and say they're going to cancel it anyway and gave me the number for when they do.
by P4 Adachi rate this post as useful

Re: UK Visa debit card work in Japan? 2013/5/2 01:36
Best way to avoid getting your card blocked is to use it at the airport before take-off. Just get a balance figure. That way the bank know you're about to go overseas. I've never told any bank I use (Santander, Nationwide and Tesco) that I was going abroad and I've never had a card blocked because I always do this before I fly.
by Cheese (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: UK Visa debit card work in Japan? 2013/5/2 02:24
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread