Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Do we need Guides to Climb Fuji? 2013/5/2 11:04
Dear People,

I and my wife are planning to climb Fuji, and need you help in understanding some stuff.

1. We are planning to climb in August, will we need extreme winter clothing?Any idea if the wind will be bad?
2. Is it ok if we buy winter clothing for -10'c? or should we go for -15'C ?
3. Is it good idea to have a local guide or can we climb on our own?

We are planning to stay on summit for night so that we can see sunrise in morning. And understand from TripAdvisor that there are guesthouses(huts) there, but couldn't find information on where can I book them. Does it happen only through travel agent or can we book on our own?

Where would it be best to buy the clothing, in Singapore? or in japan?
And we are assuming that hiking shoes are enough, do we need spikes or anything for the grip? Is it Steap?

Sorry if these questions are already answered in previous forums, I tried searching but could not find them, may be I'm bad in searching.

Thank you
by Gudisa  

Re: Do we need Guides to Climb Fuji? 2013/5/2 11:32
1. We are planning to climb in August, will we need extreme winter clothing?Any idea if the wind will be bad?

You don't need extreme winter gear (down suits, etc.) but you will need warm clothes and rain gear. It tends to be extremely windy at the summit.

2. Is it ok if we buy winter clothing for -10'c? or should we go for -15'C ?

That is likely overkill. Instead, layer different levels of clothing. At the least I'd recommend a light base layer, a med/heavy insulating layer, and an outer rain/wind layer. You can then dress up or down to suit the conditions at the time.

3. Is it good idea to have a local guide or can we climb on our own?

Guides are not needed. The trail is clear and well marked, plus there are thousands of other hikers that you can follow up the mountain.

We are planning to stay on summit for night so that we can see sunrise in morning. And understand from TripAdvisor that there are guesthouses(huts) there, but couldn't find information on where can I book them.

The mountain huts lie along the trail on the way to the summit. You usually hike about halfway up the mountain in the evening, stay the night in a hut, then rise early in the morning to complete the hike to the summit before sunrise. See these pages for more info:

http://www.city.fujiyoshida.yamanashi.jp/div/english/html/lodging.html
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6901.html

Does it happen only through travel agent or can we book on our own?

You can book on your own. Call them directly, many speak english.

Where would it be best to buy the clothing, in Singapore? or in japan?

I prefer to shop at home where I can shop around and take my time, but you might find that the selection is better in Japan.

And we are assuming that hiking shoes are enough, do we need spikes or anything for the grip? Is it Steap?

Light hiking shoes are fine. Crampons are not needed during the climbing season.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Do we need Guides to Climb Fuji? 2013/5/2 12:01
Thank you very much.
It is amazing information. Now, I have gained confidence to go without guides.
Thank you.

Cheers
by Gudisa rate this post as useful

Re: Do we need Guides to Climb Fuji? 2013/5/2 12:17
Is it ok if we start in Tokyo in morning, reach 5th station by afternoon and start climbing to th station by 6:00 pm and stay there for night, see sunset in next morning, walk around crater, and come back to tokyo by afternoon?

Is this plan ok, or is it too much to do in 1 day?

can you please suggest.
by Gudisa rate this post as useful

Re: Do we need Guides to Climb Fuji? 2013/5/2 14:33
Yes, that is a very typical itinerary for climbing the mountain, however you may want to start climbing a little bit earlier so that you can arrive at your hut around 6, eat, and go to sleep in preparation to wake early for the predawn climb to the summit in the morning.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Do we need Guides to Climb Fuji? 2013/5/3 11:58
by jin (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread