Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Destination Wedding in Japan - how to? 2013/5/11 16:08
We want to do a destination wedding next year and i'm considering Japan.Been to different parts of Japan 3 times now and really love the country, food and culture.I couldn't find much details on how both foreigners should go about their paperwork from the existing posts (mostly are for one foreigner and one Japanese).i've email the Australian embassy and Sapporo city hall office- both are of not much help.
i know there's a lot of paperwork involve but I don't know if you have to do this in Japan or bring the paperwork to Japan.
filing the notice and signing the papers- does this happen on the same day?
do you have to be in Japan for x period of days before filing the notice for both foreigners?
is there an exchange of vows or rings at the ward office?
Do you set a date for signing the papers or it's assigned by the ward office?
do you exchange the "receipt" given by the ward office for a marriage cert? (i think the "receipt" is a small piece of paper?)
As you can read, i know some information but i can't piece all of them together in sequence. any help is appreciated(just don't ask me to read the Consulate or embassy website- i've done that and it's hopeless)
by Jhip  

Re: Destination Wedding in Japan - how to? 2013/5/11 19:24
Two threads which might be useful to you:

http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+100408

http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+97631

Please think hard whether it is wise to get married in a country, however much you might like it, where you don't live currently, and to spend a lot of time doing paperwork, rather than enjoying your time in Japan :) Best wishes.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Destination Wedding in Japan - how to? 2013/5/11 19:46
http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+90333

Concerning "marriage certificate," or lack thereof, please read my somewhat long answer in this post. It explains what document you will receive.

No, no ceremony (vows) at the ward/city office at all.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Destination Wedding in Japan - how to? 2013/5/12 18:00
Hi AK
i think you hit the nail. I agree if too much time and hassle is spent on paperwork just to get married in a foreign country, it might wear us out. thanks for information, i'll have a read and access the situation after. I do find the whole walking in and out civil legalization process rather dry.
by Jhip (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Destination Wedding in Japan - how to? 2013/5/12 21:47
As AK said, you just sign the paper at the ward office.
Rather than go through the whole process, why not go to a large Shinto Shrine and watch a Japanese ceremony. On weekends there should be at least one.
Or go to a wedding place. In Tokyo, Chinzanso comes to mind. It has a lovely white church in a beautiful Japanese garden. I have seen very colorful weddings there and they don't seem to mind foreigners watching.
It's also right across the street from the ultra-modern St. Mary's Cathedral that is worth a visit.
by Dick H rate this post as useful

Re: Destination Wedding in Japan - how to? 2013/5/13 03:31
You can have a wedding ceremony in a shrine in Japan but it will not be legal, only sort of "romantic". There are lots of posts on that subject that you can find in the forum history.
It can be done cheaply but if you want to wear traditional Japanese wedding clothes, have a photographer etc. it will be pricy.

In Japan, as in Western Europe, the only legal wedding ceremony is the one done in a ward office (Japan) and city hall (Europe). A religious ceremony can be done afterwards--the same day or weeks or even months later-- for personal reasons (the religion, the fancy clothes etc.).
by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread