Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Visit Mt Aso and Yufuin from Fukuoka 2013/5/15 01:28
I like to visit Mount Aso and Yufuin from Fukuoka in a day. Based on the JR map, I can take JR Kyushu Shinkansen to Kumamoto station, then change to JR Hohi line to Aso Station. Then from Aso station, I can continue the JR Hohi line to Yufuin station. Questions (1) Is the above planned routes correct? (2) What is the estimated time for each route? (3) All these routes are covered by JR Kyushu Rail Pass, am i correct? Thanks.
by Sunny (guest)  

Re: Visit Mt Aso and Yufuin from Fukuoka 2013/5/15 09:55
I think it is too much for a single day, although technically probably possible.

I like to visit Mount Aso and Yufuin from Fukuoka in a day. Based on the JR map, I can take JR Kyushu Shinkansen to Kumamoto station, then change to JR Hohi line to Aso Station.

So far so good. But note that the actual mountain is still a 30 minute bus ride away (not covered by the Kyushu Rail Pass).

Then from Aso station, I can continue the JR Hohi line to Yufuin station.

No, the Hohi Line does not go through Yufuin. A time-consuming detour via Oita would be required. Until summer 2013, the detour would be particularly time-consuming due to the fact that part of the Hohi Line is out of service and a substitute bus has to be used.

If you want to go from Aso to Yufuin, you should take the Kyusanko Bus, but note that it only operates infrequently and is not covered byt he Kyushu Rail Pass.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Visit Mt Aso and Yufuin from Fukuoka 2013/5/15 23:37
Thanks for the advice. On 2nd thought, may be i should visit Aso Farm Village. May i know how do i go to Aso Farm village from Mt Aso? Should i go to Mt Aso first then Aso Farm Village or the other way round, which is a more logical or convenient sequence?
by Sunny (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visit Mt Aso and Yufuin from Fukuoka 2013/5/16 08:14
The farm land does not seem to be served by public transportation! The closest railway station is Akamizu Station, about 3 kilometers or a 45 minute walk one way away. Akamizu is located between Kumamoto and Aso Stations, three stations before Aso Station:
http://www.asofarmland.co.jp/information/access/

The easiest would be to rent a car. Another choice would be to use a taxi. I am not sure whether taxis are available at Akamizu Station, but they should be readily available at Aso Station.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread