Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Autumn prediction 2013/5/15 17:07
Hi all!

I know it's too early for autumn prediction. But it seems like sakura bloom is earlier this year in most places of japan. Does it also mean it'll be high chance that autumn foliage be earlier too?

I am making plans to visit Kyoto in Nov, but can't decide which period would be best. After Kyoto, I might proceed to Tokyo for a few days' stay too.
by waisky (guest)  

Re: Autumn prediction 2013/5/15 17:34
I know it's too early for autumn prediction.

Yes, indeed!

But it seems like sakura bloom is earlier this year in most places of japan.

They bloomed much earlier than usual in Kyushu and Tokyo, somewhat earlier in the rest of Western Japan and the southern Tohoku Region, and much later than usual in the northern Tohoku Region and Hokkaido. But that does not say anything about the timing of the autumn colors.

Does it also mean it'll be high chance that autumn foliage be earlier too?

No, certainly not.

The weather agency is predicting thus summer to be hotter than usual. If that is true (and I think they have been wrong multiple times before), then it is more likely that the autumn colors are later than usual.

But in the last few years, late November has always been good for autumn colors in Kyoto.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Autumn prediction 2013/5/15 19:25
Thank you, Uji-san!

I've just made my accommodation booking in Kyoto for last week of November! Not to mention, a lot of the premises are now fully booked!
by waisky (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Autumn prediction 2013/5/15 19:50
I visited Japan (Kyoto and Tokyo) at exactly the same dates (Nov, 23 - Dec, 01-02) for the last three years. 2010 was the best in terms of the autumn colors, in 2011 they were too late, but, luckily, if it happens again, Kyoto has a lot of mountainous areas to go and enjoy autumn colors in full swing. Last year colors were over by Dec, 02. I should say the Tokyo colors are usually later than Kyoto ones.
by agspb rate this post as useful

Re: Autumn prediction 2013/5/23 12:59
Dear all,

My plan is to start my koyo trip fr Osaka, onwards to Kyoto (main) and Tokyo.
I'm in a dilemma whether to stick to this or just to concentrate on Kansai area.
There aren't many information on the foliage about other areas like Wakayama, Shirahama, Ise.. etc..
Also unsure if it's worth making a trip to Nara and Himeji..

Could someone please help recommend?

Thank you!

Re: Autumn prediction 2013/5/23 17:58
I should say that Kyoto itself is so full of koyo spots, famous and not, that you'll unlikely manage to see them all even for a week. For a change I personally would reccomend Nara and its surroundings (Hasedera). Himeji is stiil under major reconstruction, Hikone castle may be a great place to visit, but mind that koyo there is a bit eralier than in Kyoto.

Re: Autumn prediction 2013/5/24 00:15
thank you for your replies, agspb!

wow! i'm really excited about Kyoto in autumn! my tentative dates of travel would be the last week of Nov and first week of Dec. probably i would shift Osaka & Nara to the front and proceed to Kyoto next, and to decide whether or not to continue to Tokyo. but it might be late by the time prediction of foliage is out, since i need to get air tickets in the next 1-2 months.

Re: Autumn prediction 2013/5/24 21:29
Big hotels in Kyoto have special chart at the entrance showing koyo progress at different parts of the city. So newspapers and TV do.

Re: Autumn prediction 2013/5/31 15:05
Dear all,

My draft for the 'koyo' trip should be about 12 nights, the last week of Nov and first week of Dec.

Day 1
Arrival in Osaka (probably Itami).
Osaka sightseeing

Day 2
Osaka - Minoo Park

Day 3
Osaka

Day 4
Osaka to Kyoto
Kyoto sightseeing

Day 5
Kyoto - Arashiyama

Day 6
Kyoto sightseeing

Day 7
Kyoto sightseeing

Day 8
Kyoto sightseeing

Day 9
Kyoto sightseeing in the day;
overnight coach to Tokyo

Day 10
Tokyo sightseeing

Day 11
Tokyo sightseeing

Day 12
Tokyo sightseeing in the day;
night flight home

For the days in Kyoto, I would visit one ward a day. A day trip to Nara is either via Kyoto or Osaka. I had visited Tokyo last year Nov, but that was mainly in the city. Probably to do side trips to Kamakura (but would that be too many 'temple visits', after days in Kyoto) & Yokohama, and a return visit to Showa Kinen. Currently I have no intention to get the JR Pass. Might just make do with my SUICA for city travels, and whatever is necessary for inter-cities.

In fact, I'm in a dilemma whether or not to visit Tokyo this time. I have read about awesome koyo spots, such as the one in Aichi. And I have always wanted to visit Shirakawa-go, but probably in winter, as I'm unsure if it's as beautiful in autumn. Since I'm travelling alone, I'm sceptical about long-distance travelling, worrying if I could be able to manage on my own. If it's really worth going these places, I might get the JR Pass and re-think about my itinerary. Would some kind souls help me untie the knots please?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Re: Autumn prediction 2013/6/4 13:46
Dear all,

I'm now re-thinking my itinerary, whether if it's worth going to Aichi (Korankei) instead of to Tokyo. If I do change, I would just spend 2 nights in Nagoya instead. I've been trying to search for past years' autumn report on Korankei, but found none.

Would I still be able to admire the foliage in Korankei during first week of Dec? That is after Osaka & Kyoto. Or should I swop that with Osaka?

Thank you in advance for your input.

Re: Autumn prediction 2013/6/4 13:56
Would I still be able to admire the foliage in Korankei during first week of Dec?

The timing of the colors in the Korankei is about the same as that of the colors in Kyoto. So, if it happens to be a late year, you may still see some good colors, but if it is an early year, the peak of the season is likely to be over.

Or should I swop that with Osaka?

If autumn colors are the main priority, I would give Korankei the priority, because Osaka is not known as an autumn color destination.

Even better: I would try to remain flexible and make the decision once you are in Japan. Of course, this is only possible if you were to visit the Korankei in a daytrip from Osaka/Kyoto which some people would consider too busy.

Re: Autumn prediction 2013/6/4 14:05
Thank you, Uji!

If I were to include Korankei in my itinerary, probably I would do it as a trip from Nagoya instead, as like you mentioned, might be too rushed from Osaka/Kyoto, even though it's doable. I'm caught as it need to decide whether I should flying into Nagoya, instead of Osaka. It might just be Korankei(Nagoya), Kyoto, Osaka then.

Re: Autumn prediction 2013/6/4 14:15
I am very sorry, I made a mistake! I confused Korankei near Nagoya with Kankakei on Shodoshima! Unlike Kankakei, Korankei can easily be accessed in a side trip from Osaka/Kyoto. The rest of my answer remains valid.

Re: Autumn prediction 2013/6/13 09:55
Hi!

Given this itinerary, does it make sense to squeeze in a trip to Amanohashidate? I read from an old post that the return journey takes 4 hours. I'm unsure how much time I need to spend there, and how the view is in autumn.

Is there any train pass that I could get for this leg of travel?

Re: Autumn prediction 2013/6/13 11:27
Given this itinerary, does it make sense to squeeze in a trip to Amanohashidate?

It could be done as a side trip from Kyoto. Whether it makes sense depends on your interests and time available. If you are highly interested in Kyoto, I think you better spend all your days in Kyoto and don't visit Amanohashidate. But if you are "templed out" after two days, have enough of Kyoto, then it would be a good option to spend your third day in Amanohashidate.

Is there any train pass that I could get for this leg of travel?

A Kansai Wide Pass does not cover the entire trip, but most of it:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_08.html

Re: Autumn prediction 2013/6/13 16:38
How are the autumn colours at Amanohashidate?

Re: Autumn prediction 2013/6/13 16:59
I don't think it is not known as an autumn color spot. The Amanohashidate itself is covered by evergreens.

reply to this thread