Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Lake Tazawa transportation questions 2013/5/18 10:08
We will most likely use the JR East pass for our trip to Akita. Is it advisable to do the boat trip at Lake Tazawa and the bus ride as well. We will be traveling from Akita and after touring Lake Tazawa plan to return to Tokyo via Shinkansen from Tazawako station. There is a two day pass covering Lake Tazawa for 2300 yen from Kakunodate. Is this worthwhile pass as it covers AkitaNairiku line, taxi to Matsuba Station as well?
Thanks.
by Haru (guest)  

Re: Lake Tazawa transportation questions 2013/5/18 10:52
Is it advisable to do the boat trip at Lake Tazawa and the bus ride as well.

What bus ride? Around the lake? I personally am not thrilled about Lake Tazawa. I think there are more interesting sights in the area. But if you like lake cruises, it will probably be enjoyable.

There is a two day pass covering Lake Tazawa for 2300 yen from Kakunodate. Is this worthwhile pass as it covers AkitaNairiku line, taxi to Matsuba Station as well?

No, if you have a Japan Rail Pass and wish to see Lake Tazawa, it is better to just take buses from Tazawako Station (350 yen one way). That is unless you want to ride the Akita Nairiku Line. Do you?
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Lake Tazawa transportation questions 2013/5/18 12:11
Uji, thank you for your quick response.

From the Japan Guide website on Lake Tazawa, I noted the following
"For travel around the lake, there are six buses per day that run along the northern half of the lake as far as the Tatsuko Statue." I also read elsewhere that the scenic bus around the lake gives a different angle from the boat ride. I am wondering whether we should do both.

Any suggestions of places to see in the area would be appreciated. Is it possible to leave our luggage in locker at Tazawako station?
by Haru (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Lake Tazawa transportation questions 2013/5/18 12:27
Yes, you can leave your luggage in the locker.

I think taking the cruise and bus is over-doing it. The following pages introduce some other attractions in the area:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3651.html
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3601.html

The area is a paradise for onsen lovers, in particular.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread