Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan Rail Pass Needed? 2013/6/13 16:44
Hi there

Would truly appreciate some advise if I need a japan rail pass on this route (we are foreigners):

day 1 - arrive in kansai and go straight to Tokyo
day 2-3 - Tokyo
day 4 - day trip to hakone and return to Tokyo
day 5 - Tokyo - Kyoto
day-8 Kyoto
day 9 - fly off from kansai

Do we need a JR pass or better to buy our tickets at the stations and use the fast nozomi train? Are tickets available at all times and easy enough to buy?

Thanks loads

Rad
by rad (guest)  

Re: Japan Rail Pass Needed? 2013/6/13 17:05
The pass is not needed, but a 7-day Japan Rail Pass will be quite a good value for your itinerary. You will make some savings, although nothing spectacular.

Are tickets available at all times and easy enough to buy?

Yes, tickets are available at all times and relatively easy to buy as explained here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2018.html

Reserved seats may book out on some of the trains on busy days, but usually they are available on at least some of the trains. Also, you can ride the non-reserved cars at any time without a seat reservation.

As for the Japan Rail Pass, it needs to be purchased before coming to Japan.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Rail Pass Needed? 2013/6/13 17:10
There appears to be a misconception about the Nozomi service trains. While they are quicker than the Hikari, they aren't faster. They just stop less often than the Hikari service trains therefore they get to the final destination earlier.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Rail Pass Needed? 2013/6/13 18:42
Apology in advance to interrupt.

When I visited this site this afternoon, there is an important notice about JR East.
What I'm confused about is what is the difference between JR and JR East? Why are those two have different page/site?

Thank you in advance
by tokage rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Rail Pass Needed? 2013/6/13 18:49
Thank you for your answers, have decided maybe no to take the JR pass and go with the flow of the tickets.

can I ask we are ging in the first week of august and when I check on hypermedia there are many trains going from kansai to Tokyo - can we get a ticket immediately when we wish or do I need to book my tickets in advance?

Same from Tokyo to Kyoto - do I need to make advance reservation for train ticket?

Finally wish to go on a day trip to hakone from Tokyo - do I need to buy the hakone pass and book seats in advance or we can do it all on the same day?

m trying to establish wether we can do everything when we are in japan (or we have to book in advance).

thanks
by rad (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Rail Pass Needed? 2013/6/13 18:51
JR group consists of JR East, JR central, JR West and other companies.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan_Railways_Group
by cc (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Rail Pass Needed? 2013/6/13 18:56
Thank you cc for your kind answer.
So, if I buy 7-days consecutive pass from JR (nationwide), can I use it also for JR East and JR West?
by tokage rate this post as useful

reply to this thread