Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

My final 3 weeks trip 2013/7/1 21:40
Hi,
I need some help with my 3 weeks itinerary trip in August. Thank you very much for any help!!!

1.-4 day Toyko ( 10.8.-13.8.)
5. day trip to Nikko ( 14.8.)
6. day leaving Tokyo early for Kawaguchiko,
day in Kawaguchiko/ Hakone ( 15.8.)
7. day Kawaguchi-ko/ Hakone- Takayama (16.8.)
8. day Takayama( 17.8.)
9. day Takayama- Shirakawa-go-Kanazawa ( 18.8.)
10.day Kanazawa, in the evening leaving for Kyoto (19.8.)
11-14 day Kyoto ( 20.8.-23.8.)
15 day trip from Kyoto to Nara ( 24.8.)
16 day leaving Kyoto for Osaka, afternoon in Osaka, shopping ( 25.8.)
17 day Osaka- Koya-san ( 26.8.)
18 day Osaka- Hiroshima -day in Hiroshima(27.8.)
19 day Miyajima , departure Hiroshima- Tokyo ( 28.8.)
20 day Tokyo flight back home ( 29.8.)

So what do you think about my plan? We want to experience a bit od everything in Japan, do you have any other recommendations?

My most importatnt question is about the Train Pass. We are thinking about 14 or 21 days. Maybe starting using the 14 days pass for our trip from Kawaguchiko/ Hakone to Takayama. Or is it better to buy the 21 days and use it for the way from the airport, commuting in Tokyo and going to Nikko? Does the JR pass make sense in Tokyo, or do we have to pay separately for subway? The diffrenece betwenn 14 days and 21 days is 100 euro and just the ticket from the airport is 35 euro, plus the return ticket to Nikko 26, and ticket to Hakone another 30. I guess we would be more flexible with the 21 pass.

I am also not sure if it is worth going to Shirakawa-go?

And what about Kawaguchi-ko? Afterwards we want to go to Takayama and it is much more complicated to go from Kawaguchiko than from Tokyo directly. Or is there any other nice and easier place to see Mt. Fuji than Kawaguchi-ko from were we can reach Takayama easier? Myabe Hakone?? Is one afternoon and morning enough there?

On our way we would also like to try some of the Onsen- can you maybe recommend some ? Even in Kawaguchiko, Hakone or Takayama? Does it make sense to go to Onsen in August, it will be very hot. Or do we better go to a beach? Are there any nice beaches on our way?

Thank you for any help!

by Annie (guest)  

Re: My final 3 weeks trip 2013/7/4 06:20
It is definitely worth seeing Shirakawa-go, and indeed, I'd highly recommend staying overnight there.

As for other recommendations, you can click my name to see the list of places I visited, but they probably won't all match your tastes.

You can get around Tokyo pretty easily with the JR pass; most of the main districts are on the Yamanote line. I was in Tokyo for ten days of my trip and only had to take the subway twice.
by Aoi Ninami rate this post as useful

Re: My final 3 weeks trip 2013/7/4 06:35
What time does your flight from Tokyo take off? You can reserve a hotel in Narita city so that you could save the expense to the airport.

With active JR Pass, you should travel Tokyo - Kawaguchiko - Hakone - (Odawaka) - (Shinkansen & JR LTD Exp transfer at Nagoya) - Takayama.

I would use 14 day JR Pass from Day 6 to Day 19 but probably squeeze Nikko trip on Day 6. So I would drop something(probably Osaka). If you feel like visiting Osaka, I would visit it in the evening from Kyoto(day trip).
by cc (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: My final 3 weeks trip 2013/7/4 06:36

Re: My final 3 weeks trip 2013/7/4 06:38
Sorry for many posts.

Economical ticket from NRT to Tokyo.
https://www.jreast.co.jp/e/suica-nex/index.html

Re: My final 3 weeks trip 2013/7/7 05:50
Thank you for your help! I am still not sure wether to go to Hakone or Kawaguchi-ko for the day. And still have a dilema- 21 days pass or just 14 :) I hope I figure it out soon. Just one more question- is there a nice beach somewehre on our way we could squeeze into our itinerary? Maybe Shizuoka?
Thank you!!
by Annie (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread