Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

21 Day Oct / Nov Itinerary 2013/7/4 09:46
Hi Everyone,

I'd love some feedback on our itinerary. And I answers to a few questions to help fine tune it. Every day I tweak it a bit, and now I think it would be good to get another opinion to stop me changing it again. I should mention this is our 4th trip to Japan so we have seen quite a bit already. And I don't expect this will be our last trip.

27/10/13 - Arr. Kansai pm (Osaka)
28/10/13 - 30/10/13 - Takamatsu - 2 days Triennale and 1 day around the city
31/10/13 - 1/11/13 - Kurashiki - 1 day Kurashiki, Day trip to Onomichi

Hire car ex Kurashiki
2/11/13 - Matsue -Adachi Museum
3/11/13 - Tottori - Sand dunes & Museum
4/11/13 - Kinosaki - onsen and much more
5/11/13 - Kinosaki ????? or nearby???

6/11/13 - Kyoto (Miho Museum on the way) then return car pm

7/11/13 - 9/11/13 - Kyoto
10/11/13 - Nagoya - Nabana no Sato

Hire car Nagoya
11/11/13 - Inuyama - Meiji Mura
12/11/13 - Tsuamago
13/11/13 - Takayama (via Gero)
14/11/13 - Matsumoto (rtn car at end of day)

15/11/13 - Train to Tokyo
16/11 - 17/11/13 - Tokyo (fly out pm)

Questions:

1. There is quite a bit we'd like to see around Kinosaki (outside of the obvious ie. Onsen experience) - Stork Sanctuary, Genbudo Caves, Takeda Castle Ruins, Cultural Centre and Museum, Straw work museum. This is also where we'd like to splurge on a nice ryokan, but I don't think the budget would stretch to 2 nights. Any ideas if there's another town in the vicinity where we could stay so we could see everything else in the area?

2. I have not been able to find dates for Nabana no Sato in Nagoya - just hoping it is happening on 10 November. Does anyone know?

3. We were thinking of driving from Tsumago to Takayama via Gero. Does anyone know if there would be any problems with roads at this time of year? Eg. snow? We have previously driven between Takayama and Matsumoto in early November. The roads were good and there was very little snow. I'd be interested to know what the roads are like through Gero.

4. Any other comments / hints?

Thanks in advance to any replies.

TraceyK

by traceyk  

Re: 21 Day Oct / Nov Itinerary 2013/7/4 12:08
This is also where we'd like to splurge on a nice ryokan, but I don't think the budget would stretch to 2 nights. Any ideas if there's another town in the vicinity where we could stay so we could see everything else in the area?

Toyooka's city center has some business hotels:
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=hotel&ll=35.543366,134.821301&spn=0.014...

I have not been able to find dates for Nabana no Sato in Nagoya

Nabana no Sato is a flower park that is open around the year. I assume you refer to the winter illumination show. Last year it started on November 3. I suspect that this year it will start on November 2 in time for the long weekend, but i don't think the dates have been announced yet.

We were thinking of driving from Tsumago to Takayama via Gero. Does anyone know if there would be any problems with roads at this time of year?

No. The Takayama-Matsumoto road travels through much higher elevations than the Tsumago-Takayama road.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: 21 Day Oct / Nov Itinerary 2013/7/11 14:40
Thanks for response Uji.

Business hotels are perfect. I didn't realise Toyooka was so close.

You are right re winter illumination. In an effort to reduce my detailed itinerary I left out that bit.

Assuming it will be happening on the 2nd weekend when we arrive, where would it be best for accomodation? I notice it is 20 mins by train, back towards Kyoto from Nagoya.

We were thinking about staying near Nagoya station to make car hire easier the next day. But is there somewhere more convenient to stay based on the fact we will be coming from Kyoto, but want to hire a car the next day?

We usually hire cars through Too Cool and as far as I can see these are all near Nagoya Station.

Re: car hire - Too Cool doesn't seem to have an outlet in Kurashiki. Any thoughts on which company in Kurashiki could offer best deal? Or would it be better to hire in Okayama?

Thanks.

by traceyk rate this post as useful

Re: 21 Day Oct / Nov Itinerary 2013/7/11 14:58
Please ignore last question re car hire in Kurashiki.

I just found it. Should have looked under Okayama.

by traceyk rate this post as useful

reply to this thread