Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

The best short-term trip at Japan 2013/7/6 10:56
Hi everyone! I know this question has been asked several times, but I would really value any help, information and recommendations that you could provide me.

I'm planning to make a travel to Japan for about one week in mid-August (it would be my first time ever in Japan or Asia), just before heading to China to study chinese for a year thanks to a scholarship I was given.

So I have been researching about which are the best places I should go in this short visit on Japan. I narrowed the sleeping options to hotels in Tokyo and in Kyoto... so far, I have read the some great places in Tokyo are:

Akihabara
Ueno Park
Shibuya
Roppongi
Shinjuku
Yoyogi Park
Imperial Palace
Rikugien
Tokyo Skytree – Tokyo Tower
Tokyo Metropolitan Government Office
Kabukicho

But which of them would you really recommend me to visit? I've hear that Tokyo Disneyland is really cool... what do you think about it?

And about Kyoto, what are the must-see places?

Is there any other near city you would recommend me to visit?

Is the JR-Pass really useful for a trip like this one?

Thanks a lot in advance for any information/tip you could provide me.

I would be in a kind of budget, so budget travel options would be highly appreciated hehe...

Best regards for all of you!
by Roger Jimenez (guest)  

Re: The best short-term trip at Japan 2013/7/6 23:30
The places you've listed are all worth visting, and one week would be enough to see them all. (Ask someone else about Disneyland, though; it's not my scene.)

You need to make the big decision first -- Tokyo or Kyoto or both? -- and then it'll be easier to help you with the details.

For Kyoto, the must-see places are mainly the famous shrines and temples... look down http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4802.html for the ones with two or three red dots.

Other nearby cities: If staying in Tokyo, then definitely make a daytrip to Nikko. From Kyoto, you should visit Osaka and Nara.

The JR pass is not worth getting if you stay in one city.
by Aoi Ninami rate this post as useful

Re: The best short-term trip at Japan 2013/7/7 03:05
if your limited to just one week i would recommend 4 days in tokyo and 3 days into kyoto / osaka. Forget about disneyland, it's not worth the time. If you can, fly into tokyo and leave via osaka.
by pas7680 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: The best short-term trip at Japan 2013/7/7 03:54
by fuchan29 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread