Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Driving time from Hakata to Kagoshima 2013/7/12 12:36
Hi,

I am planning to drive from Hakata to Kagoshima this Dec. Have checked the travel calculator which shows that it takes about 3+ hours but using toll road.
Would appreciate advice on :

- estimated driving time without using toll roads
- road conditions in early Dec
- any recommended scenic route not to be missed while travelling between these 2 places
- recommended day trips from Kagoshima in Dec as I am planning to stay there for about 3 - 4 nights. Not sure whether Miyazaki is worth a trip there with a night stay.

Any advice appreciated.
Thanks

by DL (guest)  

Re: Driving time from Hakata to Kagoshima 2013/7/12 15:48
If not using the expressway a straight drive from Fukuoka to Kagoshima is about 6 hrs

Could not comment on the road condition in Dec as we only drove around Kyushu during spring time.

The most popular day trip from Kagoshima is Sakurajima. A loop drive further down south to the Satsuma Peninsula is also highly recommended.

For us Miyazaki is only mildly interesting but it serves as a good base for a scenic drive along the beautiful Nichinan Coast if the weather is good.

Doubtful if Dec is a suitable time for a visit to the Ebino Kogen and the Kirishima-Yaku National Park but the countryside vista is beautiful when we were there in spring. Note that some area of Mt Shinmoedake is still closed due to the eruption 2 years ago.
by William5 rate this post as useful

Re: Driving time from Hakata to Kagoshima 2013/7/12 16:44
Thanks William5 for your advice and your recommendation last year for me to stay at Aso Farmland. My kids enjoyed the dome houses!

Since the journey takes 6 hours, would you advise that we stopover for a night along the way. Any recommendation ? Would it be a detour if I should drive from Kagoshima to Aso Farmland for a night and carry on to Hakata the next day.

As for the journey from Hakata to Kagoshima, would the drive from Hakata to Miyazaki be shorter than 6 hours ? Am thinking of going to Miyazaki for a night (thinking of trying the Miyazaki beef)before continuing the journey to Kagoshima.

Appreciate it if anyone can advice on the road conditions in Dec.

Thanks.
by DL (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Driving time from Hakata to Kagoshima 2013/7/12 22:27
Glad to hear that you enjoyed Aso Farmland and are planning to go back again. Did your kids go for the nextdoor Genki Forest? But with so many other worthwhile destinations between Kagoshima and Fukuoka, are you sure you want to revisit Aso Farmland and not go elsewhere!?

Breaking up a long 6 hr drive is definitely a good idea, especially if you are the only driver. If the 2 cities are the main objectives, consider taking the hassle-free JR instead. Rent a car in either towns and drive around for a few days in nearby area to cut down long distance driving.

A straight drive from Fukuoka to Miyazaki is longer than Kagoshima. It is about 3.5 hrs, 6.5 hrs if not using the expressway. From Miyazaki to Kagoshima it is just short of 2 hrs, 2 hrs 50 min if not using the expressway.

Knowing the rest of your itinerary, number of days available and the places you have already been to (or wish to visit/revisit) would help to put forward further suggestions.

Re: Driving time from Hakata to Kagoshima 2013/7/13 16:49
Thanks for offering recommendations.

I have not done my background reading to decide on my itinerary yet. However, we are keen to cover the southern part of Kyushu as we covered Yufuin, Aso, Kumamoto, Nagasaki and Fukuoka last year. Did not have time for Kagoshima and Miyazaki which we hope to do this year. We are keen to try the sand bath again with onsen and discover places with great food (beef, sashimi, ramen,etc).

As we have a group of 9 people in 2 cars, it will be more economical to drive down to Kagoshima rather than taking the JR. Anyway, will do the calculation again to assess whether it is worthwhile to pay to save travelling time. BTW, we are planning to stay for 9 days (with 2 days for Fukuoka).

Originally, we wanted to go to the eastern part of Hokkaido but understand that driving during winter may not be a good option. Also, read that certain activities such as drift ice cruise,etc are not in operation until Jan. Any recommendation for interesting spots and activities on eastern Hokkaido of which we may change our plans...

Thanks once again for any advice !

Re: Driving time from Hakata to Kagoshima 2013/7/14 00:11
You have done your research. Stick to Kyushu and not Hokkaido if you want to drive in Dec.

Indeed it is wise not to drive during winter months in Hokkaido. There were 2 fatal car accidents with foreign visitors coming from tropical regions that had no experience in winter driving. There were 2 deaths including a child from Hong Kong around Christmas time in 2010 and 3 from Taiwan were killed just last Nov.

Also it is true that both ice-breaking cruises from Abashiri or Mombetsu do not operate until the latter half of January. But the main concern is that access to the beautiful Shiretoko Peninsula is strictly limited during winter months. Access to Shiretoko Five Lakes is closed from late Nov to late Apr the following year; Access to the trailhead of Kamuiwakkayu Falls is closed from late Oct to June the following year; Most sightseeing cruises in Utoro stops running from late Oct to late Apr the following year; The Shiretoko Pass (Rte 334 between Utoro and Rausu) is closed as early as Oct. till Apr the following year.

Back in Kyushu if you are doing a loop drive from Fukuoka, consider taking in the pottery towns of Imari and Arita, Unzen and Shimabara on your way down south from Fukuoka to Kagoshima. On you way from Kagoshima to Miyazaki you can stop by Kirishima. Coming back up north from Miyazaki go for Takachiho Gorge and Beppu. If you still have time Yanagawa and Dazaifu are also worth considering. A slight detour to Mojiko on the NE tip of Kyushu is also nice.

Re: Driving time from Hakata to Kagoshima 2013/7/14 16:41
Thanks for your Kyushu recommendations.
Will do my background reading of the areas which you have mentioned before consulting for more details later.

Understand that the JR pass is for consecutive days. Any idea whether there is any JR pass which is not for consecutive days. Am exploring taking the JR for the journey from Hakata to Kagoshima and back but the single journey is costly.
Thanks.

reply to this thread