Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tsukiji Inner Market closed to tourists? 2013/7/17 05:14
My friend and I would like to visit the Tsukiji market. I heard that tourists are only allowed in the Inner Market if they have tickets for the fish auction. Is this true?
by TJ (guest)  

Re: Tsukiji Inner Market closed to tourists? 2013/7/25 18:34
The situation is explained here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3021.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Tsukiji Inner Market closed to tourists? 2013/7/26 19:55
Happy I was able to see it before the 120 max person rule. It's still worth seeing, especially the morning after you arrive since you'll probably be up due to jetlag
by Nick (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tsukiji Inner Market closed to tourists? 2013/7/27 14:46
I posted a question about transport back in August 2012 and it was suggested (thanks for info GC3) I report back my experience. This is what I wrote in December 2012.
Our visit was early in November 2012.
I found excellent accommodation at the Ginza Capital Annex Hotel (sorry for the advertising) which appeared to me to be as close as I could get to walk. We left the hotel at about 3.40 and arrived at the queue around 12 minutes later. We were within the first group of 60 - the person at the head of the queue had arrived at 3.15 a.m.! By our observation the 120 places were allocated by around 4.20-4.30 a.m.

We enjoyed our morning but frankly if time was tight in Tokyo, the auction was not a stand-out. I would suggest getting to the market early for a wonderful breakfast and then walking through after 9 am when the market opens to the public - we really enjoyed this.

by Broulee
by Broulee rate this post as useful

Re: Tsukiji Inner Market closed to tourists? 2013/7/29 10:41
Thanks everyone! Broulee, that's exactly what I was wondering. I think we will plan to have breakfast and see the inner market after 9am. I would love to see the auction, but it's going to be tough for us to manage, so I wanted to see if it was worth the rest of the market, and if that was open to tourists. Thanks again for the advice!
by TJ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tsukiji Inner Market closed to tourists? 2013/7/30 07:53
You must show up at approx 3:30am to Kachidoki entrance gate and check in with the Fish Market Information Office. The gate is nearest to the bridge on Harumi Street. There will be guards there to greet and direct you once you arrive. We arrived at 4:20am, and already all the slots were taken !! We tried again the next day, arrived earlier, and got in ! You will be put into the office holding room to sit and wait and get a vest to wear, either Yellow or Blue...Yellow is in 1st group of 60,blue vest is 2nd group. It is amazing and fascinating, and worth the wait to see it !!
by Travel Chic rate this post as useful

reply to this thread