Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kokedera & Arashiyama 2013/7/17 10:53
Hi, on my second day in Kyoto, I'd like to squeeze in Kokedera, Arashiyama (bamboo grove mostly) and Kinkakuji. Is this feasible? I understand I have to make reservations for Kokedera. What time should I make them for? Do I even have a choice? Is Kokedera worth it to go through the trouble?

Thanks!
by ffedd  

Re: Kokedera & Arashiyama 2013/7/25 18:39
on my second day in Kyoto, I'd like to squeeze in Kokedera, Arashiyama (bamboo grove mostly) and Kinkakuji. Is this feasible?

Depends on how much you want to see in Arashiyama and for what time you can make the reservation.

There is enough to see in Arashiyama to fill an entire day. Possibly even more. On the other extreme, if you just want to see the bamboo forest alone, you need just an hour, and you can easily visit all three spots in a single day.

Likewise, a visiting time to Kokedera in the early morning or late afternoon will obviously make your day more effective.

Do I even have a choice?

Good question. I can't remember.

Is Kokedera worth it to go through the trouble?

I personally would not do it on my first trip to Kyoto. But if you have been to Kyoto a few times before and are interested, it is worth it.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Kokedera & Arashiyama 2013/7/26 10:53
Thanks for your help! It most definitely is my first time and it seems a bit much to get a reservation. I'm thinking a half day in Arashiyama and the rest in the golden pavillion area will do the trick!!!
by ffedd rate this post as useful

Re: Kokedera & Arashiyama 2013/7/26 22:39
In that case, go to Kinkakuji first as you might only spend an hour there. You could spend a whole day in arashiyama. But if you are pretty sure you don't want to see evrything in arashiyama, you could probably also squeeze in Nijo Castle on that day (many people do).
by ChicagoMike rate this post as useful

Re: Kokedera & Arashiyama 2013/7/27 06:14
Chicago Mike, Thanks for the response.

If you don't mind, what do you think is the best itinerary for 2 1/2 days in Kyoto. I'm probably going to be there around noon on the first day and heading straight to Southern Higashiyama.

These are my must see's:

Kiyomizudera,
Higashiyama neighborhood
Gion
Tea Ceremony
Nishiki Market
Ginkakuji
Kinkakuji
Bamboo Grove
Fushimi Inari Shrine

If possible:
Sansujajendo
Nijo Castle
Byodoin Temple

Are the any other must see's that I may not know about? I'm an avid photographer and a sucker for culture!
by ffedd rate this post as useful

Re: Kokedera & Arashiyama 2013/7/27 06:27
I think you have it about right. It depends on your interests a bit. I really enjoy gardens, so I thought Murin-an (–³—ÓˆÁ) and Konchi-in (‹à’n‰@) were great. Both were very quiet when we went there, unlike say Tenryuji. I also thought Tofukuji is underrated.

Is Byodoin still under renovation? I would double-check.
by ChicagoMike rate this post as useful

reply to this thread