Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Ikaho stone steps and store hours 2013/9/12 08:12
Hello,

What are the Ikaho stone steps like at night in mid-November?

I am planning to arrive there at around 5pm, but I wonder if stores will be mostly closed by then? (i.e. around what time do the souvenir, manju, etc. stores open and close each day in mid-Nov?) It is really hard to find information about this.

I'm guessing that restaurants will probably be open still, but I wonder about the general vibe of the area at night (is it pretty much dead?), and I don't want to miss out on the hustle and bustle of the shops too.

Maybe I should reconsider the schedule to arrive earlier?

I read also that Kajika bridge is lit up at night?

Thank you,
Emily

by TravelAficionado  

Re: Ikaho stone steps and store hours 2013/9/12 11:47
We were in Ikado late April and upon arrival in the afternoon we walked through Ishidangai. To our surprise it was very quiet with less than a dozen people walking up and down the stone steps. Many stores were closed and it was doubtful whether those that still opened would stay open after dark. I think most visitors stay in the ryokans to enjoy the onsen and the dinner rather than going out in the evenings.

After going there in the afternoon, we did not go in the evening but we did read that Kajika Bridge is lighted up after dark and it is said to be especially beautiful during autumn foliage season.
http://www.visitgunma.jp/en/sightseeing/detail.php?sightseeing_id=31

by William5 rate this post as useful

Re: Ikaho stone steps and store hours 2013/9/12 14:44
Thank you William5 - I appreciate your sharing your personal experience there.
by TravelAficionado rate this post as useful

reply to this thread