Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Miyajima- Dawn or Dusk 2013/9/19 10:05
Hi,

Should I visit Miyajima in the morning or in the evening? My criterion are sunrise or sunset is nicer to view by ferry and whether low tide or high tide is better.

Thank you.
by Joshua Hugh  

Re: Miyajima- Dawn or Dusk 2013/9/19 12:51
High Tide for sure. At low tide you have a big red gate sitting in mud. As for sunrise or sunset, I didnt really see either in the few days I was there, but I'd work on being there when the tide is in whetehr that is sunrise or sunset.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Miyajima- Dawn or Dusk 2013/9/19 21:17
High tide is better for views. Low tide is not bad for the experience to touch the gate but high tide is the way it is meant to be viewed and is what earned it the "Top 3 View" designation.

I haven't been there at dawn or dusk so I can't say which is better. You could stay on the island and see both.

by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Re: Miyajima- Dawn or Dusk 2013/9/19 21:19
When I visited Miyajima in April, we arrived on the ferry about mid-tide, and by the time we got to visit Itsukushima itself, it was low tide. This was about the coolest thing I've ever done; walking right up to the gate.

We hiked up and down Mt. Misen, and by the time we got back down, it was high tide; however the ferry departed before sunset, so I did not get to see that. But ... both low tide and high tide are absolutely amazing, and if you can stay for both, I would. I would check the ferry schedule and see what works best for you. Sorry I couldn't be more help, but I just had to say that each experience is unique and amazing.
by Heidi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Miyajima- Dawn or Dusk 2013/9/20 04:02
I loved to stroll on the beach at low tide while enjoyed the sunset view behind o'Torii .
by daradai (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Miyajima- Dawn or Dusk 2013/9/20 06:54
If you want to be precise, this free program will show you on a map, the sun at the exact date and time and select. It will also give the exact sunrise and sunset times and lots more.
http://photoephemeris.com/tpe-for-desktop
by Dick H rate this post as useful

Re: Miyajima- Dawn or Dusk 2013/9/20 09:47
I usually go out there an hour or 2 before sundown. Many of the day trippers are leaving. You can see the shrine area while it is light and as the sun goes down and the spotlights come on. I also check the tide charts and try to get there for a high tide. You can type in the date you want on the tide page and get the schedule:

http://tbone.biol.sc.edu/tide/tideshow.cgi?site=Itukusima,%2BHirosima,...

I've also been there at dawn but Mt. Misen is between the sun and the shrine, so you don't get low light. If you stay on the island or over in Miyajimaguchi which is cheaper, you can see both.
by Anaguma (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Miyajima- Dawn or Dusk 2013/9/20 22:43
If you can afford the money and the time, why not dusk AND dawn? Personally, I find all of the tourists in the middle of the day to somewhat ruin the mystique of the place. However, if you spend the night you can go out when the streets are empty (or nearly so) in the evening and morning.

This was the view from my room on Miyajima: http://traveljapanblog.com/wordpress/2013/09/view-from-room-on-miyajim...
by kia (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread