Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Just 4 1/2 hours in Hiroshima 2013/10/1 00:57
Will that be enough for me to visit Miyama and the Peace Park ?
by Lee (guest)  

Re: Just 4 1/2 hours in Hiroshima 2013/10/1 08:48
No way. Even if you rush through Itsukushima Shrine you'd still have to take into account the ferry, time spent between Miyajima and Hiroshima and then the time it takes to reach the Peace Park from there. It wouldn't be worth it. You'll have to choose one or arrange your schedule so you have more time.
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Re: Just 4 1/2 hours in Hiroshima 2013/10/1 12:19
I tend to agree with the above. It's a decent amount of time for Miyajima; brisk if you are including Misen, otherwise pretty relaxed. Or else very leisurely for Hiroshima City; you can see the Park, castle, Shukkeien Garden and Mazda Museum if you like.
by rsl rate this post as useful

Re: Just 4 1/2 hours in Hiroshima 2013/10/1 16:35
i agree; either Miyajima (without Misen) or Peace Park + a stroll around city center.
by aerond rate this post as useful

Re: Just 4 1/2 hours in Hiroshima 2013/10/1 21:27
You will have to choose either the city or Miyajima - no time for both.
It will take you about an hour to reach Miyajima from Hiroshima city - factor in the following: finding the platform at Hiroshima station for the Sanyo line, waiting for your train (then a 25 min ride), walking to the ferry terminal, waiting for departure (ferry trip 10 mins.) That gives you about 2 hours to see the Shrine,rush through Momiji Valley take the take the cable car, see the sights & go back down. Go to the ferry terminal & return.
by LiLee (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Just 4 1/2 hours in Hiroshima 2013/10/1 23:16
Thanks,

I will try to go just Miyajima and not Mizen. I will be seeing enough temples already.
by Lee (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Just 4 1/2 hours in Hiroshima 2013/10/2 06:18
Hi Lee, I know you already said you would go to Miyajima, but I just wanted to throw in my two cents. Miyajima/Itsukushima is incredibly breathtaking and without a doubt one of my favorite places in Japan. However, Mt. Misen had a lot to do with that. Hiroshima city on the other hand; being at the Peace Park & Museum, seeing the A-Bomb dome ... it is something I can tell my children about and will NEVER forget.

Hiroshima also has Hiroshima Castle, some beautiful gardens, and a nice shopping street all within walking distance. Miyajima has a lovely historic atmosphere and souvenir area, as well as an aquarium and shrines. I would really think it over because I don't even think I could retrospectively choose!
by Heidi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Just 4 1/2 hours in Hiroshima 2013/10/3 01:49
Thanks,

I will try to go just Miyajima and not Mizen. I will be seeing enough temples already.

Re: Just 4 1/2 hours in Hiroshima 2013/10/3 01:52
Thanks Heidi, I hope I can visit them all but my time is limited.

Re: Just 4 1/2 hours in Hiroshima 2013/10/3 04:11
I was just in Hiroshima and Miyajima last Tuesday.

I agree with everyone about the time. I was there from around 9:30am - 8pm.

I spent the early hours in Hiroshima just in Peace Park and the museum. There is so much to see.

We were on Miyajima from about 2 until almost 7. We walked through the shops, but most of the time was relaxing and enjoying the views.

We didn't visit anything else there really besides the shrine. Since it was so extremely hot last week, we just sat by and watched the sun set over the torii and watched as the lights lit up.

When I come back, I would want to spend a day or two here if possible.
by SBxJap rate this post as useful

Re: Just 4 1/2 hours in Hiroshima 2013/10/3 07:05
WOW. when I was in japan last year it took about the same time for me too. I spent half my morning at the pace park and the other half at the island.. sadly I got lost so by the time I got out there a lot of spots were closing up so I had to return the next day. but I ended up meeting a cool American teacher and we meet up some other time
by SeikoSKO rate this post as useful

Re: Just 4 1/2 hours in Hiroshima 2013/10/3 13:28
That's important to remember too! Shops close early on island. On way to ferry, store close to shrine was open... Then a few small places here and there.

by SBxJap rate this post as useful

Re: Just 4 1/2 hours in Hiroshima 2013/10/4 17:02
I managed to change my schedule and have more time. I will arrive about 1pm and leave after 8 pm. Shall I visit Miyajima first and do Hiroshima later ? Will the Peace Park be nice in the evening ? I was in Hokkaido last few days and it gets dark quite early

reply to this thread