Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Jonzankei Hot Spring 2013/10/1 18:19
Hi,
I chance upon Jonzankei hot spring while browsing throught japan-guide.

I would just like to check, is this onsen reputable? How much time do I need to spend at this place?

Would it be recommendable to do onsen at Jonzankei instead , rather than at Lake Toya? I would still want to go to Lake Toya, but have not yet found any bus schedule.

Was thinking if I do an onsen experience at jonzankei, then lake toya would be sightseeing and going on mt usu ropeway so that I do not need to waste time at lake toya for onsen experience.

by japan newbie (guest)  

Re: Jonzankei Hot Spring 2013/10/2 10:28
I would just like to check, is this onsen reputable?

What do you mean with reputable? It is a popular hot spring resort. Rather built up due to its proximity to central Sapporo, but surrounded by a nice forested valley. It is not my personal favorite, but I always like to stop by if an opportunity arises. Somewhat nearby Noboribetsu has better waters than Jozankei. I would recommend it over Jozankei. Also, nearby Shikotsuko has quite unique hot spring baths along the lakeside, but Shikotsuko is difficult to access by public transportation:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6736.html

How much time do I need to spend at this place?

It is completely up to you. You could take a single bath (which typically takes about an hour), or you could spend multiple nights.

Would it be recommendable to do onsen at Jonzankei instead , rather than at Lake Toya?

Lake Toya is not my favorite for onsen, either. I would prefer the above mentioned two places for an onsen experience. But then again, Lake Toya can also be very nice.

I would still want to go to Lake Toya, but have not yet found any bus schedule.

Here is the schedule for the bus that connects Sapporo with Jozankei and Toyako Onsen (as of April 2013):
http://donanbus.co.jp/pdf/kougai_20130402/20130402toya_naka.pdf
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Jonzankei Hot Spring 2013/10/2 18:35
Thank you Uji. Really appreciate your reply and information.

I need a favour. As I dont understand Japanese, can you interpret the bus schedule for me? I plan to travel on 20dec (friday).

I need to know the first bus-last bus. Or perhaps a bus that leaves ard 10am and leaves lake toya/toyako onsen at 4pm.

Do i need to book seats fr bus? How?

Planning to spend ard 4hours (sightseeing, onsen, ropeway,etc) assuming it takes 2hrs30mins for transportation each way.
by japan newbie (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Jonzankei Hot Spring 2013/10/3 10:30
First of all, I think the above linked timetable will be valid year around, but I am not 100% sure. It is unlikely that it will change until December - especially major changes, but it may be better to double check the departure times once more before your actual travel day.

There are six round trips per day.

Here are morning departures in direction of Toyako Onsen:

08:00 10:10 12:10 Sapporo Station
08:50 11:00 13:00 Jozankei
10:40 12:50 14:50 Toyako Onsen

And buses in the afternoon in the opposite direction:

16:00 17:10 Toyako Onsen
18:48 19:50 Sapporo Station

Do i need to book seats fr bus?

Yes.

How?

It is not obvious on their website. I recommend to consult with the local tourism information or with the concierge of your hotel in Sapporo.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Jonzankei Hot Spring 2013/10/3 20:46
Thank you Uji.

I will re-confirm the time table before my departure again.
by japan newbie (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread