Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How is Matsumoto Castle ? 2013/10/6 22:47
I have just visited the Kumamoto castle. Can someone how different is the Matsumoto or Nagoya's ?
by Lee (guest)  

Re: How is Matsumoto Castle ? 2013/10/7 12:36
One main difference is that Kumamoto-jo is a rebuild and Matsumoto-jo is original. Haven't been to either one.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: How is Matsumoto Castle ? 2013/10/8 08:07
Been in all 3 multiple times. Kumamoto-jo is a reconstructed main donjon but the Uto Tower next to it is original construction (you had to remove your shoes to go through it). The Goten section is a new reconstruction next to the main keep that was started in about 2001 and finished in 2008. The largest difference between Kumamoto and the other two are the size of the grounds and walls surrounding the castle. If you went over to the former Hosokawa Residence (Gyobutei), you get a sense of how large it was. The height of the walls on several sides is also different.

Nagoya Castle is also a reconstruction of concrete as Kumamoto. It even has an elevator. Nagoya has recently completed part of its Goten palace (2013, but a lot is still under construction if you want to view Edo Period carpentry and building methods.

Matsumoto Castle isn't the largest, but it is original. It's kind of a combination of Uto Turret at Kumamoto with the museum in the concrete section. The grounds around the outside are the smallest but there is also a museum on the grounds that you pass as you head for the castle entrance. Across the river from the castle is the Nakamachi old section of town with warehouses dating back to the Edo Period. Now they are shops and restaurants. On a clear day you can see the Japan Alps from the castle.
by Anaguma (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How is Matsumoto Castle ? 2013/10/8 09:17
Thank you,
I visited the Kumamoto one and quite disappointed on the interiors. I see nothing like a castle. Just floors of exhibition area like no difference from a modern building. Will the Matsumoto one has more original interiors designs to see ?
by Lee (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How is Matsumoto Castle ? 2013/10/8 10:01
I don't know what your expectations are, but it's important to note that most Japanese castles were not residences, so the interiors never had lavish furnishings like European castles. I have been to many Japanese castles (original and rebuilt) but I can't remember any having many furnishings, even in Himeji Castle.

In order to compensate for the mostly bare rooms, most Japanese castles feature artifacts from the castle and former rulers inside.
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Re: How is Matsumoto Castle ? 2013/10/8 10:07
Of all the castles around Japan I've seen, I liked Matsumoto's one best. It just struck me as the most genuine and it's visually impressive from outside.
by AlexanderStankov (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How is Matsumoto Castle ? 2013/10/9 02:38
I have to agree with AlexanderStankov, Matsumoto Castle is amazing. While others (like Himeji or Kumamoto) might be more impressive, the view at Matsumoto-jo rising up from the water is just stunning. Also, it is indeed one of the few original castles, so no concrete, elevators or other modernities, just the intricate wood construction. Especially now Himeji Castle is still covered in scaffolding, Matsumoto-jo should easily be the number one castle to visit.

http://i.imgur.com/uin1GyR.jpg
by WizardOfOss rate this post as useful

Re: How is Matsumoto Castle ? 2013/10/9 10:15
When I went a few years back I was able to get a volunteer guide to meet me there and show me around....I think I found the info on the Matsumoto city tourist info website....
by Maranyc rate this post as useful

Re: How is Matsumoto Castle ? 2013/10/9 12:41
There a only 12 "original" castles left, and of those, there are 4 "National Treasure" castles.

("Original" meaning that they are mostly original as built, but may have been repaired at various times)

The 4 "National Treasure" castles are Matsumoto, Himeji, Hikone & Inuyama. Matsumoto is the only "flat land" castle of those 4, then others are "hill top", so the character of Matsumoto is different.

I've been through all 4, plus two other originals (Iyo Matsuyama & Marugame), plus around 10-12 reconstructions, along with some ruins.

Matsumoto is really good, and would be in my top 3.
by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How is Matsumoto Castle ? 2013/10/9 14:15
I think it's interesting that when people talk about Japan they feel the need to qualify "original" as if Japan is the only place where old historic structures undergo repair and rennovation.
by Hmmm (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How is Matsumoto Castle ? 2013/10/9 18:53
When we talk about castles "original" is important as many are total rebuilds which have little to no character what so ever. I have been to all the castles mentioned in this post plus many more and would agree Matsumoto is one of the finest in Japan, it's a little out of the way though so I always schedule my visits to coincide with an event. Some of the rebuilds are truly awful for instance, Osaka is grand on the outside but is totally modern inside and Okayama is truly terrible, the inside is modern but practically bare of any displays - it was so poor(and expensive) i actually complained and got my money back.
by pas7680 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How is Matsumoto Castle ? 2013/10/9 19:43
@pas7680

You're certainly a reason why Japanese ostracize foreigners...

Anyway, I've also noted how in this site too much attention is paid to whether the castle is original or reconstructed - I'm not sure that bothers the casual tourist so much, besides Japan is known for a country which prefers to rebuild and reconstruct its historical heritage (there was even a research which compared Japan to some European countries where that practice would be unthinkable). So if anyone wants to see things as they've been left from 9th century, maybe Japan isn't your place.
by AlexanderStankov rate this post as useful

Re: How is Matsumoto Castle ? 2013/10/9 22:15
Actually, I think it's a good thing to say what is original.

I think it's a shame for people to not care about authenticity in historic sites, including castles. Although I enjoy seeing the rebuilt castles, I'd always prefer to visit an original castle, even if it's a smaller one like Marugame Castle.

Europe lost a lot of places in WWII but overall, many many places were spared. Many of Japan's cities lost everything, so I can understand their interest in rebuilding. It's part of their local identity.

Okayama Castle was rebuilt using actual blueprints according to the local guides there, so its appearance is much more authentic than most rebuilt castles. Also the turret is original there. It's a nice castle, I think, but even if you disagree, I can't imagine actually going to the staff to complain about a place that you already KNEW was rebuilt just to get your money back. That's terrible...
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Re: How is Matsumoto Castle ? 2013/10/9 23:04
One of the reason why "original" is better than rebuilt is the woodwork. I love old Japanese style cantilevered carpentry, along with huge bent tree trunk beams. Seeing concrete interiors is just disappointing.

One rebuild done in original style, methods and materials is Kakegawa. This is not a disappointment like concrete structures....
by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How is Matsumoto Castle ? 2013/10/10 00:09
Everyone goes to Japan with at least some preconceived notions about the country and its culture. What is sort of interesting is to see how different people react when those notions are not met...

I don't know why it is that some foreigners expect all Japanese castles to be restored and maintained at an exceedingly expensive level. It's fine to value historical authenticity, but to expect it everywhere you go is just a fantasy.

Honestly, people ought to do some research before buying an admission ticket, if they are going to insist on getting "their money's worth." There is abundant information available on all of the Japanese castles and their current states (including the approximate amount of concrete or lack thereof), so it's pretty hard for me to believe that someone would have the gall to ask for their money back after visiting one of them. Such people must be constantly disappointed in life, is all I can say.
by Uma (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread