Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Another Hiroshima Itinerary 2013/10/10 04:09
Hi,
Arriving Hiroshima on the Monday night so will have a look around and dinner. Staying at the Sheraton so any good restaurant recommendations?
Ive heard of Sante but think it might be too far a walk from hotel.

The Tuesday plan looks like this:
Out hotel for 9 taking the Maple-oop bus to the Castle. Spend 45 minutes there and then 15 minute walk to Peace park, do the museum and dome. Then head back to Hiroshima station to get the train for an afternoon visit to Miyajima. Only plan on an hour or two there and probably a late lunch before retuning back to Hiroshima early evening with the aim of catching the 6pm bullet to Osaka.

Sound good? Or unrealistic? We are early 30's so no issues with being fast!
by Voyager888 (guest)  

Re: Another Hiroshima Itinerary 2013/10/10 11:12
I suppose it's doable but you won't be able to really take your time absorbing what you're seeing or exploring.

As much as I love castles, if you're going to be seeing other castles on your trip, you may want to skip it and go directly to the Peace Park and then to Miyajima. The museum or park may end up taking longer than you expected and it's very easy to spend more time out on Miyajima than expected with all the food to try and beautiful nature and temples.

Depending when you arrive in Hiroshima, you might also be able to explore the Peace Park then as it really doesn't have any closing hours. That could also save you time the following day and may let you add back in the castle. Though while Hiroshima castle itself is small, its grounds are fairly large and will take some time to walk around. When I was there, there was also a fun area where you can try on some samurai/traditional clothes which might take time if you want to indulge in the free and fun photo-op.

Hiroshima has a pretty condense core area so it's quite easy to walk or use the tram to get around. If you like okonomiyaki I suggest Okinomimura http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3406.html
by Sage (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Another Hiroshima Itinerary 2013/10/10 12:48
For Hiroshima I'd always recommend two days at least.
1 day for Hiroshima itself and 1 day for Miyajima. You'll regret it if you only stay there for 1-2h.
If you have some extre time, you could also visit "Rabbit Island": http://zoomingjapan.com/travel/rabbit-island-japan/
by zoomingjapan rate this post as useful

Re: Another Hiroshima Itinerary 2013/10/10 19:33
Thank you both!
by Voyager83 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Another Hiroshima Itinerary 2013/10/10 22:14
Personally, I wouldn't visit Peace Park before the museum. I went through the park with a friend before she had gone to the museum and because she hadn't seen the museum, at the time we walked around, she thought all of the "peace" monuments ("the X of Peace") was over-the-top.

When we walked through again AFTER seeing the museum, she felt completely different. The monuments had real meaning to her.

I think this could happen to many people who do it this way. Seeing the monuments makes you reflect on the things you saw and read about in the museum. The museum puts them into context.
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

reply to this thread