Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Question about train and transfer 2013/10/25 08:17
Im travelling from Tokyo Station to Nikko Station. Using the JR Tohoku Shinkansen train, i have to get off at Utsunomiya Station and hop on to the JR Nikko Line to Nikko station. My questions are....at Tokyo Station, do i buy train ticket to Utsunomiya Station first? Once arrive at said station, buy another ticket from Utsunomiya Station to Nikko Station?

Or can i just buy a ticket from Tokyo Station to Nikko Station directly, at Utsunomiya Station, just walk to platform and board Nikko Train without buying another ticket?

Please let me know. Thanks so much in advance.
by theogn8219  

Re: Question about train and transfer 2013/10/25 11:07
Or can i just buy a ticket from Tokyo Station to Nikko Station directly, at Utsunomiya Station, just walk to platform and board Nikko Train without buying another ticket?

Yes, you buy ticket to Nikko and change platforms at Utsunomiya. Note that you will be given two tickets to cover the different parts of the journey (a base fare ticket for the whole route, and and a shinkansen supplement ticket).

btw, are you taking this route for the Shinkansen experience? Because if not then a tobu nikko pass would probably be a better deal for you.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Question about train and transfer 2013/10/25 19:28
Thanks for your answer. I will be using the JR Pass. I guess i will just have to show the pass to get on the train?
by theogn8219 rate this post as useful

Re: Question about train and transfer 2013/10/25 19:48
Yes, but you can also make reservations for the shinkansen in advance if you like.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Question about train and transfer 2013/10/26 01:43
Thanks again for your help...just another question if you dont mind.

I have a trip from Tokyo Station to Hiroshima Station. Using the the JR Pass, i will be boarding the JR Shinkansen Hikari train heading toward Shin-Osaka then transfer to another JR Shinkansen Hikari train to Hiroshima. At Shin-Osaka, when i get off the train, can i just walk straight to the platform for the other train heading toward Hiroshima? Or do i need to get to the checking to show my JR Pass before walking to the platform?

Still trying to understand the transferring between trains process.

Thank you.
by theogn8219 rate this post as useful

Re: Question about train and transfer 2013/10/26 05:02
By which line will you come to Tokyo Station? Or, will it be the first station on the way?
Tokyo Station building is huge. There are two Shinkansen zones of JR-East and of JR-Central.
JR-East is using a green JR icon.
In signs for Shinkansen in Tokyo Station, Tohoku Shinkansen is mentioned first among JR-East Shinkansen lines, as in "Tohoku, Yamagata, Akita, Joetsu, Nagano Shinkansen."
JR-Central is using an orange JR icon, and is operating Tokaido Shinkansen (Tokyo -- Shin-Osaka).
- http://www.japanrailpass.net/
In this page you see JR icons of the six JR passenger railway companies.

[From Tokyo to Hiroshima by Shinkansen]

When will you travel to Hiroshima?
(It is announced that on 10 November 2013, Tokaido and San'yo Shinkansen trains will be delayed after 8:30 in the morning.)

then transfer to another JR Shinkansen Hikari train to Hiroshima.

Your second Shinkansen train may also be a Sakura....

No gate exists between Tokaido Shinkansen (of JR-Central) and San'yo Shinkansen (of JR-West) in Shin-Osaka Sta.
(These two JR companies are using the one Shinkansen zone in Shin-Osaka Sta.)
So, there basically you would not have your pass checked at a gate by an attendant (unless you look like trying to get outside the Shinkansen zone).

In Shin-Osaka Sta., Shinkansen tracks are on the 3rd floor, and a Shinkansen concourse is on the 2nd floor; you can use elevators to change platforms.
If your second Shinkansen train departs at Track 20 in Shin-Osaka, you will change elevators on the middle floor, from the one connecting the concourse and Track 21 & 22 platform to the other connecting the middle floor and Track 20 platform.
- http://www.jr-odekake.net/eki/img/premises/0610155.pdf

In Hiroshima Sta., the easiest way to get from the Shinkansen zone (for Tracks 11 through 14) to South Exit (near a bus terminal and a streetcar stop) is to pass through a Shinkansen transfer gate (saying you hope to reach South Exit), cross a bridge over non-Shinkansen tracks and pass through South exiting gate. If you have reserved your Shinkansen seat, the seat ticket(s) would be collected at the first gate for you to use.
- http://www.jr-odekake.net/eki/img/premises/0800613.pdf

[From Tokyo to Nikko by JR-East lines]

Please note that only a small numbers of trains are available to get from/to Utsunomiya to/from Nikko by JR-East.
Depending on combinations of Shinkansen and Nikko Line trains, you will have much time to wait in Utsunomiya Station.

Utsunomiya Station is simple and small. If you have reserved your Shinkansen seat, the seat ticket would be collected at a Shinkansen transfer gate when you pass through it for Nikko Line.
- http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/stations/e248.html

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Question about train and transfer 2013/10/26 05:13
same questioner? :D
http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+108121

No reservation seat ticket(s) of Tohoku-Shinknansen and JR Nikko line(no reserved seat car).

Dont take non-stop Utsunomiya stn Hayabusa,Hayate,and Komachi/S.Komachi.
take Yamabiko/Tsubasa or Nasuono(with a lot of non-reserved cars).
http://jreast-shinkansen-reservation.eki-net.com/pc/english/common/tim...

If back timing while weekday evening rush make reserved seat tickets better.
by HFB (guest) rate this post as useful

P.S. 2013/10/26 05:24
I am not sure whether you can take away the used seat tickets (issued for a Japan Rail Pass holder) or they are to be collected with no exception, but regarding regular JR tickets, there are cases I can keep a used ticket after getting a sign of invalidity on it.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread