Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hard to buy Sagano tram tickets in mid Nov? 2013/10/28 22:23
Hi,

I will be travelling to Kyoto from mid to end Nov and I'm planning on visiting Arashiyama. I read that it is advisable to purchase the Sagano tram tickets early especially during the peak autumn season. However, I am from Singapore and I don't think I am able to get the tickets here. =( Would it be too late to purchase the tickets only when I reach Kansai Airport in mid Nov? Any other ways to get the tickets please?

Regards,
by Starleaf (guest)  

Re: Hard to buy Sagano tram tickets in mid Nov? 2013/10/29 10:17
Yes, they are difficult to get on weekends and public holidays in November, especially second half of November. But I think on the weekdays it is not too difficult, especially if you make reservations a day or two in advance. YOu can make reservations at JR ticket counters in the Kansai Region.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Hard to buy Sagano tram tickets in mid Nov? 2013/10/29 11:58
Ticket sales starts just one month before.
Ask JR ticket office of KIX if not mid night arr.
[open]5:30-23:00

by Angy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hard to buy Sagano tram tickets in mid Nov? 2013/10/29 22:26
Thanks Uji and Angy! I will get the tickets upon reaching KIX =D
by Starleaf (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hard to buy Sagano tram tickets in mid Nov? 2013/10/31 12:42
I've read somewhere that many November dates are snapped up (from another forum - the person was trying to book tickets for his friend).
by Nana (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hard to buy Sagano tram tickets in mid Nov? 2013/11/3 22:37
Oh no... Any idea which dates in Nov were snapped up?

Re: Hard to buy Sagano tram tickets in mid Nov? 2013/11/4 10:12
There is no way to check online. You would have to inquire at a JR West station in the Greater Osaka area or the Sagano train company.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Hard to buy Sagano tram tickets in mid Nov? 2013/11/4 10:37
Were you planning to take the Hozukudari boat ride back to Arashiyama? I think that many people take the Sagano train from Saga to Kameoka and then the Hozukudari from Kameoka back to Arashiyama. So there might be more seats available on the Sagano train from Kameoka to Arashiyama.
by muji (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hard to buy Sagano tram tickets in mid Nov? 2013/11/9 10:22
Thanks Muji! I wouldn't be taking the Hozukudari boat ride. Has anyone tried taking the ride from Kameoka to saga arashiyama? Are there differences in terms of scenery?

Also, I would be staying near JR Osaka but most of my itinerary is in kyoto. The confusing thing is the type of passes to get for the trip =( For now, I am considering getting a jr kansai wide area + 1 jr kansai area pass to cover the 8 days I am there. For sightseeing in kyoto, I am intending to get 3X 2 Day kyoto sightseeing pass. Will it be too much? Would Kansai thru pass be a better alternative?
My rough itinerary will be:
1) nanzenji temple + eikando temple + ginkakuji
2) tofukuji temple + Enkoji temple + Manshu-in Temple
3) Arashiyama temple
4) Kiyomizu-dera + Kodaiji temple
5) Kinkakuji temple + Ryoanji temple + Daitokuji + Ninnaji
6) Enryakuji temple @ Mt hiezan
7) Yoshiminedera temple
8) Jingoji temple + Sanzenin temple

Re: Hard to buy Sagano tram tickets in mid Nov? 2013/11/9 16:19
Bad news for me... my friend in Kyoto tried getting the tickets for me for my end Nov travel, and was told that second half of Nov all sold out!
by waisky (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hard to buy Sagano tram tickets in mid Nov? 2013/11/11 13:32
Yes, the talk is that the tickets are sold out all the way to December. And, no, the chances of the Kameoka to Saga route is not high either.

It may be more prudent to plan for the boat trip down if money and time allow.
by Nana (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hard to buy Sagano tram tickets in mid Nov? 2013/11/26 11:07
Yes. You cant get any more tickets from the major JR west stations. But it's still possible to get the tickets on the day! Just be at saga arashiyama station early on the day of your trip. I don't know what time the queue starts to form. When I reach the place at about 7.40AM on 24th Nov, the queue was already close to the escalator of the JR station. Nevertheless, I was able to get seating tickets for the 11.07AM ride. At about 11AM, most tickets for the day was sold out, including standing tickets. =)

reply to this thread