Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Train travel to Hakuba from Shinjuku 2013/10/30 05:35
We ( people) need to go from Shinjuku Jan 19 to Hakuba-I know the train only goes to Nagano
Is the bullet train the only way to go?
We then need to go Hakuba-Narita airport on the return trip 7 days later
Is that possible or do go to Narita or do we to go back to Tokyo?
We have been told that a JR pass would work out too expensive and it would be cheaper to buy just single ticket??
by sykesey  

Re: Train travel to Hakuba from Shinjuku 2013/10/30 19:28
By limited express train via Matsumoto
By direct highway bus
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6090.html

Some companies operate Hakuba - Narita direct bus service in winter. Please google "hakuba narita".
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Train travel to Hakuba from Shinjuku 2013/11/2 05:18
thanx for that
Can you just buy single train ticket Shinjuku to Nagano and which website?
by sykesey (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Train travel to Hakuba from Shinjuku 2013/11/2 05:33
Hi just to add to my question it seems the JR east company want you to buy the pass??
It looks like you can't book seats on line is that correct?

Re: Train travel to Hakuba from Shinjuku 2013/11/2 14:34
There is one direct "Azusa" train daily that goes from Shinjuku to Hakuba, departing from Shinjuku at 7.30 am. At other times of the day, you will need to get an "Azusa" or "Super Azusa" limited express train to Matsumoto and change to a local train from there to Hakuba.
You don't/can't use the shinkansen (bullet train) or travel via Nagano when going to Hakuba.

When returning to Narita Airport, you will have to return to Shinjuku and then either get the JR Narita Express from there (most convenient) or go around the Yamanote Line to Nippori and get the Keisei Skyliner from there (faster).

You can buy your ticket from Shinjuku to Hakuba at Shinjuku or any major JR station.
by Haru55 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Train travel to Hakuba from Shinjuku 2013/11/2 15:33
Travellers without rail pass
http://jreast-shinkansen-reservation.eki-net.com/pc/english/common/men...

I don't think Paeese from JR do not pay off.

Re: Train travel to Hakuba from Shinjuku 2013/11/2 15:38
I don't think Paeese from JR pay off.

Re: Train travel to Hakuba from Shinjuku 2013/11/3 06:23
Thanks for that but just one more question
IF we did get the JR east pass and we want to use it say 5 days while we are there in the 2 week period DOES it mean I have to buy a 14 day pass or can i buy a 7 days pass

Re: Train travel to Hakuba from Shinjuku 2013/11/3 08:03
There is only 1 jr east pass which let you choose 5 days out of 14 days. Read it more here
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_02.html

You are better off using direct bus if you want to be cost effective.
by guear rate this post as useful

Re: Train travel to Hakuba from Shinjuku 2013/11/30 13:16
Did this last ski season....
Asuza express departs hakuba about 1pm on saturdays & sundays. Very slow trip to matsumoto then fast to shinjuku - about 4 hours in total. Narita express goes from shinjuku to narita.

Or bus from hakuba to nagano (1hr) then shinkansen to tokyo (2 hrs). Metro train to shinjuku (or express to narita)

There is a mini-bus taxi service between hakuba and narita that takes about 6 hours. Sounds like a long time but is about the same as train/bus after allowing for platform changes. Much easier with bulky ski gear! 12000 yen pp
chuotaxi.co.jp

There is also a coach service between hakuba and shinjuku but we never found the schedules met our needs.

All of these services can be affected by heavy snow fall.

by Mike (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread