Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Philosopher's Path in the Fall worth it? 2013/11/3 04:09
I'm visiting Kyoto mid-november and I was wondering if it is as pretty as it is during the sakura season. I google mapped it, and it's a pretty long path, which areas are the best to walk on?
by ekangtots  

Re: Philosopher's Path in the Fall worth it? 2013/11/4 11:36
The path itself makes for a nice walk around the year, but outside of the cherry blossom it is not something that you specifically visit for itself. It is usually visited in combination with other sites, particularly Ginkakuji and/or Nanzenji and Eikando.

In autumn, Honenin Temple (a few steps off the path) is a popular autumn color spot among many locals and tourists.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Philosopher's Path in the Fall worth it? 2013/11/4 19:42
Hi again Uji. That was my initial plan, to walk down from Ginkakuji all the way to Eikando or nanzenji. If I start from 7am at ginkakuji, walk down the path and the temples as you said, and 12pm go to kiyomizudera, will this be recommended? In my new itinerary, i kind of ditched most of the temples because I figured in those areas, night illuminations will be available. but are night illuminations better than seeing the temples in the daylight? :/ it's my first time in kyoto, and i've been dreaming of going for a long time and i've only got 4days to see everything it has to offer... i wonder if it's enough. i appreciate your comments! thank you.
by ekangtots rate this post as useful

Re: Philosopher's Path in the Fall worth it? 2013/11/5 07:04
I walked this path last November and will again during my visit this November, although most popular in Cherry viewing time, it does have beautiful Autumn trees along the canel and neighbouring properties, so yes definately worth a stroll, and as Uji has said, the Honenin Temple is especially beautiful in Autumn and you should visit. You say you have only four days to see everything?...this November will be my third visit to Kyoto, usually stay two weeks, this year 18 days and 'still' have not and will not see everything!, my suggestion is you take your time at a few selective areas and enjoy your time at a leisurely pace. Trying to fit 'everything' in too quickly will not give you a lasting memory or a true experience of the beauty and historical value of Kyoto, surely that is why you are going there?. Autumn in Kyoto is beautiful and 'very crowded/busy', be prepared for long waits and masses of people at the Temples, enjoy.
by Barrieaw rate this post as useful

Re: Philosopher's Path in the Fall worth it? 2013/11/5 09:37
If I start from 7am at ginkakuji

Ginkakuji does not open until 8:30. Eikando not until 9am.

I figured in those areas, night illuminations will be available. but are night illuminations better than seeing the temples in the daylight?

They are different. The visual experience is more unusual and memorable in the night. But it is more difficult to appreciate temple buildings and gardens when it is dark. They are different experiences.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Philosopher's Path in the Fall worth it? 2013/11/5 11:08
In regards to daytime vs night, I think if you want to enjoy the foliage, you should go in the daytime.

I have not been to the Eikando Light-Up, but I've been to many (most?) of the other autumn light-ups and some of them do not even focus much of the lighting on the leaves themselves, so it depends on the temple.

As Uji said, though, the experience is completely different. If the leaves are at their peak, both are highly recommended at Eikando.
by Rabbityama (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Philosopher's Path in the Fall worth it? 2013/11/7 00:40
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I just feel like I'm not going to come back to Japan for a loooooong time. So i thought I wanted to see everything that's worth seeing. not really everything everything, you know-- that's impossible in 4 days. xD but i guess i'll take it easy. i think I'll be able to squeeze the main sightseeing spots (world heritage sites) in 4 days, i hope.
by ekangtots rate this post as useful

reply to this thread