Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hakone Free Pass 2013/11/11 15:07
Hello!

I know this topic has been discussed many times, but I hope someone would help me clear some doubts. Thank you very much!

We'll be visiting Hakone early December and intend to get the 2-day Hakone Free Pass. We will not be having any JR pass.

Starting from Shinjuku, I understand that we can get the Free Pass from the vending machines.

1) Is early reservation advisable? Where to do it online?
2) Can I assume that I can pay for RomanceCar reservation at the same time? Does it come in one-way or return reservation?
3) RomanceCar will bring us directly to Hakone-Yumoto, without transfers, right?
4) Is this the car that comes with food and attendant service? Do we pay for the food?
5) From Hakone, instead of going back to Shinjuku, if we want to visit Kamakura or Yokohama, does the Freepass cover at least a portion of the travel? If it does, how can we pay for the difference? If it doesn't, does it make more sense to buy just one-way Pass or is there better option?

Thank you again!
by TH (guest)  

Re: Hakone Free Pass 2013/11/11 18:06
1) If you want to take the Romance Car, yes. It is advisable. On the other hand, if you are going only with the Free Pass, you cannot make a reservation, as the pass entitles you to travel on non-reserved trains.
2) Yes. You will be paying supplementary fee for the limited express Romance Car. You "can" make one-way or you can make return trip reservation. It does not "come with" the Hakone Free Pass.
3) Yes.
4) Yes, there will be on-board food vending service. Of course you pay for the food :)
5) It covers the portion from Hakone-yumoto to Odawara, but I guess you will be changing to JR train from there... Hakone Free Pass is offered by Odakyu Railway Company, so you need to pay from there.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone Free Pass 2013/11/11 19:44
Thank you!

I now realize that the free pass (\5,000) comes in two or there days.. Since I might be going to Kamakura/Yokohama,and not returning to Tokyo the next day, it seems not economical to take this, does it?

Is there other option, like a one-day pass?
by TH (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone Free Pass 2013/11/13 14:57
Hi,

Does anyone have answers to my queries?

Thank you!

Re: Hakone Free Pass 2013/11/20 17:58
If you would like to use Hakone FP as much as possible on the way to Kamakura directly instead of going back to Tokyo, the most effective itinerary is following.
1.From Hakone Yumoto then Odawara, take LOCAL train of Odakyu Railway instead of "Rommance Car".
2.You transfer the train at "SAGAMI-ONO(‘Š–Ν‘ε–μjstration to FUJISAWA-line. The validity of your Hakone FP ends there. You are supposed to pay the additional fee at the last stop(FUJISAWA station) for the line between SAGAMI-ONO and FUJISAWA. It is only 300 yen.
3.Then transfer to Enoshima-Dentesu(another local private rail company),which is so called "Enoden".
Enoden is very popular for tiny old-fashioned train and worth trying. 30 minutes (and 290 JPY) ride to Fujisawa, Enoden takes you to its last stop, Kamakura.
Have a nice trip !
by masa (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone Free Pass 2013/11/21 09:19
Dear Masa, thank you for the useful information!

Re: Hakone Free Pass 2013/11/21 10:45
Dear TH-san,
Very sorry but please let me amend my previous comment.
1) SAGAMI-ONO stration ¨@SAGAMI-ONO station.
2) 30 minutes ride(and 290 JPY) ride to Fujisawa ¨@30 minites ride(and 290 JPY)
ride FROM Fujisawa.
Please let me apologize for confusing you.
by Masa (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread