Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Question about Sendai 2013/11/14 01:03
Hi,

I'm going next spring to Japan 3 weeks, and I would like to see Sendai and roundings. I saw there are several things to do:

- Sendai city
- Matsushima
- Naruko Gorge
- Zao Mount
- Yamadera
- Yamagata

I would like to spend 2/3 days. I will be there at the end of next march. These are my questions (Sleeping each day in Tokyo):

- Since Naruko seems to be closest to Matsushima, it's too tired to see both places in the same day?

- Sendai/Yamagata/Yamadera, its too hard to see all in one day?

If that can be done in 2 days, I can save 1 day for toher place :P

What u think?

Thanks in advance!
by crcbad  

Re: Question about Sendai 2013/11/14 10:48
Is there any reason that you couldn't stay overnight in Sendai for 2-3 nights instead of commuting? You will either lose time travelling when you could be sightseeing or need to start extra early and then you might be feeling more tired.

How much you can see really depends on what time you'll arrive in Sendai and how fast you travel and in how much detail you want to see the sights.

You'd really have to look at your starting times, travel times, how long you think each place will take and travel times once again between locations. Also keep in mind that transit between some stations, like from Yamadera station are infrequent so if you miss a train, that could take an hour from your schedule.

You might want to either consider the must see places or extend the Tohoku exploration to three days to actually be able to take some time and enjoy it. Especially since a fair bit of walking will be involved.
by Sage (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Question about Sendai 2013/11/14 11:08
The JR Sendai General Shinkansen depot has a visitor center and free tours, with some great exhibits. Just Google the words above.

Take a branch line train to the Rifu (not Shin-Rifu) station and walk back along the tracks on the north and west side of the station. You can get an idea of both the route and size of the depot by using satellite view of google maps.

The visitor center is the first major building you will come to, and is next to the steam locomotives and Shinkansen on display.

The display Shinkansen were part of a test train used on the Tokaido line, but were re-painted green and white at the museum
by Susan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Question about Sendai 2013/11/14 17:08
Thanks for the answers!

Sage, the reason... I'll try to explain. I wanted to stay in Sendai but the last day, I have to go to Gero (Gifu) wich is about 5-6 hours from Sendai, and will lose half day traveling there, so knowing that sendai is 2 hours from Tokyo I decided to stay there.

I think it will be 2 days, one for seeing Sendai and Matsushima, and another one, for Yamadera, Yamagata and maybe Noruko.
by crcbad rate this post as useful

Re: Question about Sendai 2013/11/14 22:01
I live in Sendai, and frankly, no-one in their senses would commute daily from Tokyo to Sendai for sightseeing. I assume that you will have a Japan Rail Pass, but have you considered the time that it will take to get to Tokyo Station from wherever in the vast metropolis that you will be staying?
Sendai and Matsushima can be managed in one day, if you start early enough. So can Yamagata and Yamadera. For Yamadera, if you want to do more than admire the temple's cliffside setting from the train station on the other side of the valley, you will need to allow time and energy for steep climbs, depending on how far up you want to go.
Narugo, noted for its kokeshi dolls and for autumn colouring, may seem close to Matsushima as the crow flies, but in this mountainous territory it is not directly accessible from there. Personally, i would recommend rather that you take the Akita Shinkansen to Kakunodate, if you have a spare day.
There are many little-known places to enjoy in and around Sendai, according to the season, but not on a hurried day-trip from Tokyo.
by bamboo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Question about Sendai 2013/11/14 22:29
Another place, which I cannot rate too highly, is Hiraizumi, a World Heritage Site on the Tohoku Honsen line about half an hour north of Sendai.
by bamboo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Question about Sendai 2013/11/14 22:43
Not reccomend end of Mar.
Simple reason "Spring has not come" no Sakura
and Snow already melt(only mountain caps left) just still cold.

Yamadera and Naruko(Narugo is local accent) Gorge in Autumn color season best.

if no JR-pass(or other) purchase "Sendai marugoto pass" best
covered Sendai,Matsushima and Yamadera vaild local trains(JR and subway) and buses
unlimited ride 2 days.

And Sendai to Nagoya(closer Gifu) by night (high-way)bus operate everyday.
by MgL (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Question about Sendai 2013/11/14 23:19
I agree that the time of year is a consideration for what sites you want to visit, but I don't agree at all that "no one in their senses would commute from Tokyo." It's a matter of personal preference, but I would rather make a couple of day trips from Tokyo to Sendai or other sites in that part of Tohoku (or as far as Morioka or even Kakunodate) instead of changing hotels. I have done it numerous times (with a JR pass, of course). If you stay near Tokyo Station or Ueno, and eat your breakfast and/or dinner while riding instead of while hanging out in a restaurant, the net added time to get to Sendai on the Hayate or Hayabusa can be almost negligible.

I have also stayed overnight in Sendai a number of times, and that is fine, too, but there is nothing stupid or goofy about doing two day trips, and it doesn't need to be considered "hurried." I'm not sure I would do three day trips in a row (the train riding could get a little old). Instead, pick your spots carefully and don't try to do all of them.

by Uma (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Question about Sendai 2013/11/14 23:54
Hi,

Again, many thanks for your answers. I'll have JR Pass so taking trains are not the problem. The problem mainly resides in going the last day in Sendai to Gero (Gifu), its a long way, and it would be a waste of time. Going Gero from Tokyo (Ikebukuro) is shorter, and going to Sendai takes only 1hour 30min, from Ikebukuro, so we can arrive Sendai at 9:30am, and go back to Tokyo at 20:00pm (If I'm wrong please tell me).

Hanami is not a problem, because we'll see it in Tokyo and Kyoto.

So, Noruko Gorge is not recommender in March?

Hiraizumi? Where can I find more info for this? Or more "secret" places in Sendai ^^

Re: Question about Sendai 2013/11/15 00:51
Hi, thanks for all your commentaries.

Actually, I'll have JR pass, and like Uma said, I prefer staying in the same hotel in Tokyo (I'll be in Ikebukuro wich have very nice communication), and from there travel to Sendai. According to Hyperdia it would be 1hour 30min going to Sendai, so waking up at 7:00 am and having a "relaxing cup of coffee" (I'm from Spain :P) we can arrive at Sendai at 9:30am and stay there until roughly 20:30, that would be 10 hours in Sendai and surroundings.

Taking those hours, in 10 hours, I think I can see Sendai and Matsushima one day, and as other person stated before, another one for Yamadera & Yamagata.

It seems, there's many people who lives in Sendai, or been there some time. Do you know another side trips in Tohoku? Someone mentioned Hiraizumi, where can I find more info about "secret" places, or not to common places to visit?

reply to this thread